The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So going to get a 40g breeder here in the very near future..want to start grabbing all the accessories I can now...so I'm in a fix though..I'm gonna dose and inject co2...plenty of plants..I just want some thing super nice and bright..also I'll be floating frogbit so at least bright enough to push through for the most part...finnex planted + 24/7 or fugeray planted + ....or should I be looking at some thing else??

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have that setup, same tank, co2 lots of plants and dose. I went with the Finnex planted + set on MAX and use it with a timer.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
So going to get a 40g breeder here in the very near future..want to start grabbing all the accessories I can now...so I'm in a fix though..I'm gonna dose and inject co2...plenty of plants..I just want some thing super nice and bright..also I'll be floating frogbit so at least bright enough to push through for the most part...finnex planted + 24/7 or fugeray planted + ....or should I be looking at some thing else??
40b's are a tad wide.. Usual recommendation is 2 strip lights to cover fully f/b t/b.....
most strip lights have 120 degree optics meaning surface cones at about 3" off the water line give a spread at the water line of 11 inches..

6" is 21....

Matter of choice though..

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm I see there is mix reviews on the type of lights for the tank. I was thinking of going with finnex for the price style and size.. but it looks like I am going to need to get 2 one for the front and one towards the back of the tank. Which I don't mind I just want it bright for good plant growth and plant color. hmm any one else with any suggestions or pictures of their tanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
your best off with 2 finnex planted plus for a 40b
i have one planted plus over a 75g for low light and i am getting another to help with spread, to get medium light
here is the one planted plus over the 75g
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Finnex planted plus 24/7 on my 40 breeder. I was worried that I wasn't getting enough light to the back of the tank, tho I'm not sure if I was or wasn't. I picked up a cheap 30 some dollar Beamswork on Amazon to light the rear of the tank. Plants are growing very nicely.

·
Registered
148 Posts
it all really depends on the type of scape you want. I have two BML's on my 40B and cant imagine having just one LED. I would purchase two dimmable strip LED's that way you can have whatever you want whenever. You'll be happy to have the control trust me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
it all really depends on the type of scape you want. I have two BML's on my 40B and cant imagine having just one LED. I would purchase two dimmable strip LED's that way you can have whatever you want whenever. You'll be happy to have the control trust me.
What's BML?

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
What's BML?
"BuildmyLED" which no longer sells aquarium LEDs.
Though one or 2 of their hort. lights are useable" for some reason unknown to me are "discouraged" ..Long story..

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for your suggestions and all the help. Right now I am using two of my 30 inch lights from my 29g I took down to put in the 40B.. 1 finnex string ray and 1 beamworks razor thin.. as of right now the whole tank is lit up and getting coverage. It might be on the low low of medium or in the middle to high of low..or I might just be over my head HAHA!! im thinking of getting rid or the beamworks to put in a planted plus and keep the little stingray. For the reason that the planted plus take up most of the coverage from back to front and have the stingray for the front since most if not all my plants are along the back to middle. Now if only some would buy this 30in beamworks so I can justify on getting the planted plus HAH

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well everyone I bought a 36in finnex ray2 and I might keep the stingray on and take off the beamworks and will see how things go from there!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts