The Planted Tank Forum banner

40g Breeder - Apistogramma Cacatuoides tank

411 Views 4 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  evil8
I'm surprised I haven't done a tank journal on this one. It's been up for over a year now with a pair of German Blue Rams. I'd wanted them for a long time and finally found them. I put them in with a dozen Red Eyed Tetra and only lost 1. The fish here will all get moved to the new 75g this week and this will get a complete rescape and the 2 female Apistos will go in here. Hopefully I'll be able to find more of them soon. I raided a lot of the crypts from here for the 75g.

Equipment:
Oasi Biomaster Thermo 250 (with glass lily pipes) canister filter & inline CO2
36" Fluval Plant 3.0 & 36" Fluval Aquasky sitting on the lid.

Hardscape: Bogwood and Seiryu Stone
Substrate: Fluval Stratum
Plants:
Spiral Val
Red Tiger Lotus
Anubius Nana Petite
varius crypts
others I can't remember right now...

Stay tuned because this will be completely different by next week.

Plant Botany Organism Terrestrial plant Wood
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6g office nano, 20g aio cube, 2 x 40g breeder community and 75g
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here we go... Moved the fish to the 75g and moved the tank to the same bench next to it so I could use the background lightstrip again. My wife wanted me to use the head figure flower pot in my scape to look sort of like a lost world idea. I want to lift the figure and the rock there in the background a little bit and add a little bit more substrate, but otherwise I like it. The two female apistogramma cacatuoides are in there now. I think I found all 10 of the Amano shrimp that I put in a year ago. I just rarely ever see one. They went into the other 40g. I also hung the light.

Plant Leaf Vegetation Aquatic plant Wood

· Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gave away most of the spiral val to a couple of local hobbyists yesterday. My boss was very currious as to why I had a 5g bucket full of water and plants by my desk... LOL. I have one large bundle left for a lady first to respond to my offer but got caught working a double shift.

While separating out bundles I found 2 little crypts and put them back in the tank. The older female was out in front of the tank last night at her normal supper time. As usual the younger one is hiding because the older one is a bully. I'm hoping I can add more fish to the tank to dilute some of that aggression soon.

· Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to check on the tanks during my lunchbreak and saw both female apistos out swimming near each other peacefully. I think this is a first. While in the 20g the bigger (older) one would chase the smaller one into the back deeply planted area. I have hope for these two, now if I can find them males I'd have something.

· Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Updated the scape this morning by moving the figure forward, creating height behind it, adding more stone and gravel. I’m thinking of getting a few pots of crypt parva to add to the foreground.

Plant Vertebrate Pet supply Wood Aquatic plant

1 - 5 of 5 Posts