The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the process of setting up a 40 breeder that is going to be a dutch style tank. As such I would like a light that has the ability, not saying I'm going to run it this way, to produce ultra high light. The light will be controlled by a Mr.Aqua IAqua controller, so I have 8 channels of pwm control. With these 8 channels I would like to be able to mimic sunrise and sunset, in addition to having moon lighting. I have set a budget of around $300 with my absolute max being $400.
Now what I have come up with so far is that I would like to use some sort of COB or puck led. I have looked at the Cree Lumia 5.2 105W Planted Puck Led, Aurora Freshwater Puck Led, and the Bridgelux Vero 18 5600k or 29 5000k.
I feel like the Vero 29 is way more than could ever be used in a shallow 40B. And I also have read that the Lumia is by far a better option than the Aurora. So that basically leaves only the Lumia and Vero 18. With the Vero 18 I will of course be using other 3W leds to add coloring and make sunrise, sunsets, and moonlighting possible.
I was looking at using 2 Lumia's if I went that option, but I'm unsure if one Lumia with a wide angle lens would get even coverage over the 18"x18" section that is must cover. But I have seen a couple of Dave's, from ADU Aquascaping, videos where he uses two freshwater AquaticLife Halo Leds and seems to get even lighting, but his lights look to be like 18" from the rim of the tank and 36" from the substrate.
With the Vero 18's I was looking at like 4 or 5 of those with colored leds surrounding the vero. For color I would probably only use deep reds and royal blues, at first, to see how I like that lighting color and plant growth.
But again I'm looking for others opinions, because I know there are a few on here that have used the vero's on there tanks, and I have really liked the results. I have not seen anyone use the Lumia's but if someone has, maybe in the reef world, feel free to chime in. I know this topic is brought up often but with the leds, I would like to use, it seems most use these on much larger tanks.
OK enough of me what do you guys/gals think?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.