The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new, I don't have any photos yet. I'm still assembling my stuff. I'm brand new to fishkeeping, so I have a lot to learn.

I like the idea of keeping track of my first tank here - this seems like a lot of knowledgeable people that I'm looking forward to learning from. My dream is a heavily planted and aquascaped tank with some peaceful community fish. Corycats (8-10 Julli or Sterbai), a big Espei school, and maybe some honey gourami. Still deciding. I don't know if I want centerpiece fish or not. Kind of going for a wild/forest aquascape.

For the past 2 months I've been reading and learning - I read the Ecology of the Planted Aquarium while I was setting up/cycling our 20 gallon for the crayfish my daughter wants. That's what got me into this- I decided I needed more than a crayfish that eats plants and other fish! I'm not going completely low tech - I'm going to try to do what works instead of stick to a specific ideology.

I'm still making space and actually have to paint the room before I can set up and aquascape. AND I have to build the stand. I pick up the materials tomorrow.

So here's what I have so far:
40 gallon breeder
MG Organic soil, Pool filter sand
Fluval 3.0 36"
PennPlax canister filter (up to 100 gal), just bio balls
Eheim Jager 75w and 150w for redundancy with an Inkbird controller
Coralife 9w UV filter
A bunch of manzanilla and dragon stone, some lava rock with net bags for building up the gradient, etc. I also got some egg crate, super glue gel, that putty stuff, cigarette filters. I'm just going to have fun with the design.

I'll post some photos as I go. I'm looking forward to this process. I think the children that I have to homeschool right now are going to be the big winners in this process. After the stand is built, I'll play with the hardscape and get some feedback. I do need to figure out what plants I'll want, and that sort of has to evolve based on how the hardscape is shaping up and what the fish I'm getting would like. We'll see! No one has ever accused me of half-assing anything, so I know I'll overthink everything.

Thanks!

Kat

Bump:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've never been a fan of the UV filters. I don't see the need.

And a 40 gallon breeder is a great starter tank. Big enough that rapid chemistry changes are unlikely and small enough that water changes aren't a chore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Walstad recommends a UV filter in her book.... A lot of folks don't use them, but I'd rather have it at my disposal than wish I did. There are some good interviews with her on You Tube, one is about mycobacteriosis where she talks about UV filters. We'll see! They are definitely an extra expense, I do hope it helps. 😁

·
Registered
528 Posts
Walstad recommends a UV filter in her book.... A lot of folks don't use them, but I'd rather have it at my disposal than wish I did. There are some good interviews with her on You Tube, one is about mycobacteriosis where she talks about UV filters. We'll see! They are definitely an extra expense, I do hope it helps. 😁

That's interesting. I'd love to see some interviews with her. Do you have any links/suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts