The Planted Tank Forum banner

406 as Sump pump

691 6
I'm setting up a small breeding and grow out rack and would like some advice/thoughts on using a fluval 406 as the return pump.
The rack will be 4x 20 longs above with a 40 breeder sump. The 406 will sit just below the 40B - so water will siphon into it. The 20 longs will be above the canister filter by ~24 inches (about the difference in water levels between the two tanks as well).

The second concern is then restricting/splitting/directing the flow into the 4 separate 20 longs. Could be really working that 406...

I guess this really warrants an experiment to see what the outflow is at a head of 2 ft.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Danner Supreme Mag Drive has been the industry standard for at least 40 years.

All are sealed and usable either internally or externally.

They come in capacities from 250gph to 2,400gph, all with good head pressure in relation to the rated flow.
I've had 7 or 8 units in different capacities in the last 35 years, all were run for many years in continuous use, and none have failed or needed repair.

Ironically, sometimes the pond models, which are the same, but come with additional attachments and a longer cord, are actually less expensive than the stand alone unit and makes more sense to buy even if you don't plan to use the accessory pieces.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.