The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a small breeding and grow out rack and would like some advice/thoughts on using a fluval 406 as the return pump.
The rack will be 4x 20 longs above with a 40 breeder sump. The 406 will sit just below the 40B - so water will siphon into it. The 20 longs will be above the canister filter by ~24 inches (about the difference in water levels between the two tanks as well).

The second concern is then restricting/splitting/directing the flow into the 4 separate 20 longs. Could be really working that 406...

I guess this really warrants an experiment to see what the outflow is at a head of 2 ft.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The canister filter would work if it was set up properly. IME, most canisters should be below the tank they're filtering to get proper function out of them. For instance, I tried putting mine up on a table to get it off the floor (my cabinet sucks and needs an upgrade, no room for filters or anything), and started getting endless air bubble burps and a drop in performance. Setting it back on the floor cured that. There are likely exceptions and YMMV of course.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think using a single return pump will make your life a whole lot easier. Getting canister siphons to operate on a single tank can be enough of a challenge at times. The thought of splitting the outlet 4 ways with the siphon inlet at a different level makes me cringe at the potential headaches involved in getting the canister started up.

I have a Lifegard Quiet One pump on my sump. Very reasonable price, never had a single issue with it over the 18 months it's been up and running.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Danner Supreme Mag Drive has been the industry standard for at least 40 years.

All are sealed and usable either internally or externally.

They come in capacities from 250gph to 2,400gph, all with good head pressure in relation to the rated flow.
I've had 7 or 8 units in different capacities in the last 35 years, all were run for many years in continuous use, and none have failed or needed repair.

Ironically, sometimes the pond models, which are the same, but come with additional attachments and a longer cord, are actually less expensive than the stand alone unit and makes more sense to buy even if you don't plan to use the accessory pieces.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Danner Supreme Mag Drive has been the industry standard for at least 40 years.

All are sealed and usable either internally or externally.

They come in capacities from 250gph to 2,400gph, all with good head pressure in relation to the rated flow.
I've had 7 or 8 units in different capacities in the last 35 years, all were run for many years in continuous use, and none have failed or needed repair.

Ironically, sometimes the pond models, which are the same, but come with additional attachments and a longer cord, are actually less expensive than the stand alone unit and makes more sense to buy even if you don't plan to use the accessory pieces.
They're great pumps. I've run them in my ponds 24x7 for many years. Think the oldest one that I have probably is approaching 10 years old now. Only thing that I've ever had to do to it was to replace the impeller once. And that was mostly my fault because the intake that I was using was letting larger stuff through that you'd never see in an aquarium. Some of them get a little noisy after a while (years). Outside I don't hear it unless I really listen hard but you likely would inside. Probably could be fixed with an impeller replacement and/or lube. But they still run and run and run...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.