The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was ordering a 150w MH to hang from one end of a new 75gal discus tank, but I ordered a 400w MH by mistake. I was thinking maybe I could hang it over my 120gal which of course is deeper and move the t-5 lights off the 120gal to the 75gal.. My question is how high to hang the 400w system above the 120gal?
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea,
You're right. I'll probably get a 2nd 75-175watt system since the aquarium is
5'. I'll hang the 400w at 24''to 28" and a 75w at 18'', then pump in the Co2.
Thanks again

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
that's a myth. it depends entirely on the reflector you use. such as this fixture designed for 5' x 5' with 8' x 8' supplemental coverage.

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/yieldmaster4-400w-metal-halide-ss10-remote-grow-light-p-1251.html
This is exactly what I have been looking for!
But what mounting height are they talking about? Different mounting heights would have an effect on coverage, right?. Lower would mean less spread, higher would mean less intensity...

And I would imagine that the way light travels through water is not the same as through air, so I wonder if the same thing applies to fish tanks?

Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
842 Posts
That would be 6 or 8 feet from the floor? Which would be about 3 feet above the tank? or 5 feet above the substrate? give or take based on ceiling height, tank height and stand height.... Figure the average room has 8' ceilings, average stand is probably 30"? and any tank big enough to consider a 400w mh would probably be 24 to 30" deep? That sound about right? or are you thinking 6-8' above the substrate?

I wonder how that would look? you'd light up the whole room. Or maybe not, if your reflectors did a good job of focusing it?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
That would be 6 or 8 feet from the floor? Which would be about 3 feet above the tank? or 5 feet above the substrate? give or take based on ceiling height, tank height and stand height.... Figure the average room has 8' ceilings, average stand is probably 30"? and any tank big enough to consider a 400w mh would probably be 24 to 30" deep? That sound about right? or are you thinking 6-8' above the substrate?

I wonder how that would look? you'd light up the whole room. Or maybe not, if your reflectors did a good job of focusing it?
Depending on the setup, it could be a problem with a rectangular tank. The lighted area is listed as square. That would mean considerable light in front of and behind the tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.