The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Do you want the guppy fry to live?
Yes...
Smaller fish such as Otos, perhaps bottom dwelling dwarf Cichlids such as Checkerboards, or Sparkling Gouramis. A school of Dwarf Cories could work, too.

Guppies have been bred in captivity until many will handle the softer water that many small fish like, but if you are getting a strain that needs harder water...

Pseudomugil furcatus and related fish are good in harder water.
Many Cories do not mind it, either. Check the optimum parameters, though, some are more picky.

If you do not mind the Guppy fry becoming a living food source, then slightly larger fish could work. Most Rainbow Fish will thrive in harder water, perhaps a mid-sized species like Melanotaenia machullochi would work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't care if the fry live. Right now they're in a tank with dwarf cories. The pH is running 7.4 and I'm waiting on my kh/gh/tds kits/meter to come in. I'm sure the water is harder. Central Florida water is usually pretty hard. I'm going to start mixing ro/di in with the tap though to help make it a little softer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.