The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beginning of my new scape. I am using ADA Amazonia II and local Utah Dragonstone. I currently am doing the Dry start with Fissidens f. and have some UG bladderwort, ammania sp. bonsai and staurogyne repens on the way. I will also be using blyxa j. 2- Finnex Ray 2 high output 36" LED fixtures. Eheim classic canister, inline Hydor heater, inline UpAqua Co2 diffuser. Eventually I will get lily pipes. I am going to get dwarf emerald rasboras, like 20 or so and that's it. Plus orange eye- blue tiger shrimp.

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
That stone is awesome. Volcanic?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used three 9 liter bags of Aquasoil and two bags of eco complete. I put peat and activated carbon at the base with some Osmocote Plus, so the extra... mixed with eco complete is relatively the same as the expensive power sand and a great filler... Initially I filled it half way with water to settle areas of substrate that weren't pact down good enough... I did have a few sinkholes. This packing will help so the slopes don't collapse or settle too much. Thank you everyone for the kind words! I do have this rock for sale and yes it is lava rock from Utah, from very ancient volcanoes. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot guys! I could see some African Cichlids in there, even though it isn't the usual rocks one would use, it could be a show tank. I just need some more plants. Waiting for them to come... I ended up filling it up today and it only holds 26 gallons of water. So my little Eheim canister is going to work great because there actually isn't that much water in the tank. Because of the light weighted stones and the weight of the substrate per volume is slightly less than that of water the tank is actually lighter and under less stress.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I call it, "Opposition of Nature". Because the left side is concave with a window to light and the right side is convex with a window to darkness. My eye naturally starts at the cave and is pulled to the left towards the window of light.

I am still waiting on S. repens to come... I have Fissidens fontanus, Ammania sp. bonsai "True Rotala indica", Hydro sp. Japan, Hair grass, Blyxa japonica, Utricularia graminifolia "UG Bladderwort". And eventually I will put the S. repens on the upper and lower left side of the tank and within steep valley at the back.

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Did anyone else use activated carbon in the substrate? It and the peat can be hard to control, me thinks.

The hardscape is dramatic. Looking forward seeing in green.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.