The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a 40 gallon breeder setup for awhile with a decent size school of Neons and a couple cherry shrimp.

I have decided to go all cherry shrimp, and re-homed(sp?) the neon netras. So I pretty much have a big nearly empty 40 breeder tank with a huge piece of driftwood, eco complete substrate, and a couple cherry shrimp. And a backwall of Ludwigia, which I'm not sure whether I should keep or not. I had also previously also had Cyperus Helferi in there, but it never really grew and rotted out.

I've never done a shrimp tank before :) so that brings me to ask, which is more important, the aquascape, providing good plants that the shrimp will like, or both? I was thinking about doing some super easy plants for a easy to maintain tank. Java ferns, crypts, water wisteria, water sprite, moss balls, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The right plants are more important then a qua scape, Floating plants are a must to imo shrimplets like hanging out on floating plants when there young, What substrate do you plan on?

-Seafari-

·
Registered
63 Posts
The shrimp business has slowed down quite a bit this last year but it can definately pick back up! Just seems everyone has crystal reds, crystal blacks, sunsets and tigers so we need people to start breeding the big time dwarf shrimp!! Lol

-Seafari-

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just started keeping shrimp after many years of housing just about every other type of animal in an aquarium. They are lots of fun, though I'm only running a 10 gallon. I got shipments of cherry shrimp from two different forum members at a great price.

The tank is definitely not scaped. I've got a bunch of plants thrown in, the shrimp seem to do ok. I even found a couple of little babies, so they are procreating ok. I won't be breeding for color or anything, just let the little guys get it on as they like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts