The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if you all are getting tired of me lol but I have a new possible plan if I can find a 30 gallon tank for my gerbils. They're currently in a 40 breeder with a topper that's too small so if I can find one I'll have my 40 breeder available. Anyways I still have my 8 neons. What all could I stalk in the tank with them. I want it fairly diverse. Definitely a bottom feeder or a couple types

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Idk, I think I'd rather do one of those 55 gallon tanks or cages for the gerbils. Something about them needing a lot of room and burrowing area? IDK, I'm going off of Munchie's Place on YT for rodent care.

If it's a 36x18 breeder, there's a lot of things you could do. I'd look into threadfin rainbowfish and farlowella cats. I'd also up the school to like 12 neons. Lizardtail cats (Rhineloricaria) are rare and expensive, but I think they might be worth it for you.

Ah, here we go: gerbil video:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol gerbil care if very diverse I guess. They say 20 for a pair typically. The US minimum is technically 5gal per gerbil so 30 is good for a pair (let not get into it. I feel like gerbil care is like trying to figure out what size cage hamsters should actually be housed in if you know what I mean... I have 3 hams too BTW lol). And I'm not set and stone on my tank plans. I'm really just brain storming and want opinions from more fish experienced than me because I usually always kept one type of fish in a tank and added a betta every once in awhile (Obviously separated if they didn't get along and it was usually my smaller fish causing the issues lol). I'm having hard time even finding 30 gallon tanks in my area so so might settle or like a 29, keep my current 20, or get another 40 or something

Lol gerbil care if very diverse I guess. They say 20 for a pair typically. The US minimum is technically 5gal per gerbil so 30 is good for a pair (let not get into it. I feel like gerbil care is like trying to figure out what size cage hamsters should actually be housed in if you know what I mean... I have 3 hams too BTW lol). And I'm not set and stone on my tank plans. I'm really just brain storming and want opinions from more fish experienced than me because I usually always kept one type of fish in a tank and added a betta every once in awhile (Obviously separated if they didn't get along and it was usually my smaller fish causing the issues lol). I'm having hard time even finding 30 gallon tanks in my area so so might settle or like a 29, keep my current 20, or get another 40 or something
Sorry if that came off strong. I really didn't mean to sound like rude. I'm obviously not and expert but I've had and still have a lot of small animal so I'd say I'm fairly experienced in that community just not fish lol

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Oh nah, you're fine. I don't know crap about gerbils and small rodents, so I'm glad (and also horrified) to learn more about that part of petkeeping. Also...5g per gerbil????? What????? Anyways, I heard that Petco is having its half off sale right now. I'm not sure if that's actually a thing (it feels like they just did one), but you might be interested.

Oh, you might also be interested in annual killis. Beautiful colors, but short lived fish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh nah, you're fine. I don't know crap about gerbils and small rodents, so I'm glad (and also horrified) to learn more about that part of petkeeping. Also...5g per gerbil????? What????? Anyways, I heard that Petco is having its half off sale right now. I'm not sure if that's actually a thing (it feels like they just did one), but you might be interested.

Oh, you might also be interested in annual killis. Beautiful colors, but short lived fish.
Lol yeah. 5 gal/per gerbil. They need more depth not width but I the US has like terrible standards lol
Ooooo they are pretty fishes. Thank you for recommending different types

1 - 5 of 5 Posts