The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this up and running for about 2 yrs now, there is a hardscape in there somewhere, just really hard to see.

40 gallon breeder
current 2 x 96 watt PC (dual daylight)
xp3 - powers co2 reactor 1 bps - 2 outputs on each side if tank
modified intake (sump foam covered w/ filter sock - keeps shrimp out of filter)
RO only
shirakura line of food
mosura mineral and food

It is a very fun tank as it is little in the way of daily routine. I feed, I watch, I trim. Growth rate in the tank is amazing and the colors are intense - fun to know this can happen in a CRS tank -

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plant list is funny... I use this as my dump tank - gets a bit of everything.

As far as clumps of plants in there

from left
Ludwigia arcuata
Hygrophila guinnea
S. porto vehlo
Few eriocaulon species (mostly e. goias, aquaticum, and a shadded old matto grosso - needs some love)
Ludwigia brevipes
mosses - have flame, willow, peacock (sp?), java, christmas
diplidis diandra
ludwigia inclinata verticillata - cuba and araguaia
polygonum sao paulo, porto vehlo, ruby, kawagoeanum
rotala macrandra green
rotala macrandra

Know there are more, just not off the top of my head.

·
Registered
167 Posts
wow,thats alot of CRS...that must have cost you a fortune

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL - you won't believe me...

shrimp food, shrimp pooh, 5 WPG PC lighting (6700/10k), slow co2 w/ reactor - 1 bps 24/7, 2 bulbblers in back, occasional dose of mosura calcium supplement (gh to 5-7), xp3 filter, r/o only, occasional iron when plants show signs of red loss, and only occasional K when i'm seeing leaf changes. India almond leaves for the babies. Inline heater (hardly used), inline UV sterilizer (24/7 but old bulb by now), and a chiller that pegs the temp at about 72.

I'm guessing my phos is off the charts (shirakura shrimp powder which I overfeed on purpose for the plants and shirakura shrimp pellets). My nitrates are low but when I push the food or hack out the plants I'm sure it spikes some (see some of my older shrimp pass on )
Plant load and bio load seem to handle it.

OH, and no water changes (last one I did was like march I think - I'm lazy like that) I do them when I hit a bump with the CRS - until that I just top off daily losses when I can hear my water running. As far as shrimp the most important 2 things I have noted would be the addition of higher O2 sat (lower temp and bubblers) does seem to keep them happy and the breeding rates were much higher w/ the mosura calcium and the almond leaves.

·
Registered
504 Posts
wow..... very nice tank! and very nice crs there too!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
would you mind sharing what are your water parameters? :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
75 degrees F
kh 0
gh 3-5
ph - depends on meter - 6.5 average

up gh w/ mosura calcium - use R/O water

Only dosing tank w/ shirakura powder (for shrimp - just overfed) and seachem iron (until i gets my reds to my liking)

read a thread recently that I may not be adding as much Iron as i think w/ the running of my UV at night (oxidizes my iron? - so not sure what that means about my color othern than the plants really like high light)

Tank looks a bit different now than in pic - but not near as bad as it did 3 wks ago w/ 6" of plants out of water and no light to bottom - killed off about $500 in erios... sucks when life gets in the way of a hobby.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't know if GH is very super important nowadays, maybe it is, but I don't follow it, I use conductivity instead and my tank is usually about 980 - 1000 us/cm, when I test GH, it is 9!! My crs breed a lot though! Here's a video of my shrimps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhckqwbTzdI

not as cool as your skewlboy! :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.