The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a little birthday present for me from my bro when I came back from vacation this week. I guess it's time to build a new stand and a DIY light for this bad boy. I was wondering if I could get by with 2x36" t8s spread out a few inches apart and would that be medium light?

substrate:
dirt and capped

Plants:
red jungle val
jungle val
corkscrew val
dwarf sag
java moss
java fern
anubias
amazon sword

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I had a little birthday present for me from my bro when I came back from vacation this week. I guess it's time to build a new stand and a DIY light for this bad boy. I was wondering if I could get by with 2x36" t8s spread out a few inches apart and would that be medium light?

substrate:
dirt and capped

Plants:
red jungle val
jungle val
corkscrew val
dwarf sag
java moss
java fern
anubias
amazon sword
Yes if kept on top of the tank. Congrats and happy birthday.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yes if kept on top of the tank. Congrats and happy birthday.
If you are in more of a hurry than a money saving mode I noticed yesterday that Petco is finally carrying a 40G breeder tank. It is the tubed steel type powder coated black. I am thinking that it was a hair over $50 but don't quote me on that.

edit: I don't see this size of the Manhattan metal stand on the Petco web site but I definitely saw it in the store.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My birthday isn't till the start of October but the dollar a gallon sale was on and gave it to me early.
It's kinda a good thing I got it early since I got a small BBA outbreak when I was gone. I ordered some plants that melted some when I was gone and my DIY co2 started to leak.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think most of my plants are pretty much low light so I should be fine for now. I don't feel like going overkill with t5s and have to do pressurized co2 and all that other good stuff. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm kinda curious if I went with a single t5HO raised about 10-14" above the tank if that would work?
I was also wondering if I should get a 3ft bulb or 2ft? It would be cheaper in the long run replacing 1 bulb then 2-3.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
why not just make some t5 no from homedepot go 36 inch an spread 6inch between the two fixtures should put in a good range, the one t5 ho can work but will have to be laid out accordingly due to the shade factor from only one bulb but can work fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.