The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 40 breeder I want to heavily plant, with large pieces of bog wood, some river rocks and a planted substrate with a sand cap. Going for an amazon river type of look, and I'm curious if anyone has any experience with he stocking I have planned.

I'm thinking 3 apistos (preferably different types and all males)
1 angel
20 or so silvertip tetra
3 whiptail cats
? violet or sterbai corydora

I've researched enough to know most of that list will be okay, I also keep African cichlids so I'm not too worried about the aggression. I know ways to deal with it. My question is mostly, does anyone think I can keep corys as well? if so how many? would they be okay with a fully planted tank? (lots of stems, lots of crypts and epiphytes.. maybe even a sword or two) Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've heard but I think with it heavily planted and more caves than territorial fish, it should be alright. And my LFS will always take fish back if it doesn't work. and hmm, apistos might just not let anything else chill in the lower part of the water column? I guess ill wait and see how they do with each other, then add some corys? how many if it all goes well? Hypothetically, 5 or 6 maybe?

·
Registered
755 Posts
A 40 breeder is not a great tank for angels due to height limits. If you really want an angel than go with a 50 breeder. A 50 breeder is identical to a 40 breeder but taller. If the apisto are all males then likely everything will work unless you pick a particularly aggressive species of apisto. Without females they won't have a need for a territory et all and likely wise there should be no hostilities between the apisto and cory.
-
As for the cory hiding - it depends on a number of factors including the specific species of cory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 40 breeder is not a great tank for angels due to height limits. If you really want an angel than go with a 50 breeder. A 50 breeder is identical to a 40 breeder but taller. If the apisto are all males then likely everything will work unless you pick a particularly aggressive species of apisto. Without females they won't have a need for a territory et all and likely wise there should be no hostilities between the apisto and cory.
-
As for the cory hiding - it depends on a number of factors including the specific species of cory.
good to know! and that's what I'm told about the angels, but I think ill get one small and when it starts to outgrow the tank ill bring it back to my LFS. I'm super close with them. How many corys do you think I can do with this stocking?

·
Registered
755 Posts
For sterbai you could probably keep 12 or 14 if you want. I'd go for at least 8.

good to know! and that's what I'm told about the angels, but I think ill get one small and when it starts to outgrow the tank ill bring it back to my LFS. I'm super close with them. How many corys do you think I can do with this stocking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, thats great news lol
So new stocking list
1 angelfish
3 apistos (less aggressive species)
20 or so silvertip tetra
3 whiptail cats
(ill start with)10 sterbai corydora
THANKS

·
Premium Member
4 aquariums, all planted.
60 Posts
That is a lot! of Sterbai for a 40B. 5- 6 would be a more realistic number. Be careful if you want to breed the apistos as you don't have a lot of real estate to keep the Cories out of the Apisto's territory, they will eat eggs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not too interested in breeding, and I was thinking the same thing. Ill just play it by ear, start with 6 and move up from there if nitrates don't get crazy after a week lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.