The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience using cheap led flood lights on a 40 breeder.

I am doing a iwagumi setup with dwarf hairgrass or dwarf baby tears. Some floaters. I would assume I would need medium to high light.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I will be using 2 clamp lights with 13W daylight CFL's. It tested it and it looks "bright enough" and lights up the entire tank nicely. Can't say if it will grown anything yet as the tank is still not set up but it looks promising.

The problem with spot lights I think is that it will cast the light on a "spot" hence the name. An led bulb with a good reflector should help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just hung two reptile deep dome fixtures from petsmart (~$20 each because they look cool) with a 13W CFL in each about 20" from the substrate. I am thinking of getting one more to hang in the middle to give me more coverage and so I can lower the lights a bit to achieve higher lighting.

There's a great thread about using Home Depot clip on dome lamps with CFL's that may be able to give you some inspiration or info.
EDIT: Here is the linkhttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153195&highlight=inexpensive+cfl

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not going CFL, could I get some advice with LED floodlights 16" above substrate for medium light.

40breeder will 2 30 watt flood lights achieve medium light?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.