The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

The time has come to upgrade my 20 long to a 40 breeder. The place I want to put it in (peninsula style) is beteen the kitchen and living room.

Unfortunately, this will put the tank in parallel with the floor joists. And considering the width of the tank, it will only span one joist.

Is this a concern? The tank will be a foot away from a load carrying exterior wall and on hardwood floors (I plan to lay down a plastic sheet between the stand and floor to catch drips).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not a structural engineer... that said, this wouldn't concern me since you're so close to the load wall. How long is the span of the joist from one support to the next?
The span is around 12 feet long with the exterior wall on one end and a metal cross member on the other side. I am not sure if the joist runs beyond the crossmember but the crossmember runs perpendicular to the joist from one basement concrete wall to the other. It is also supported by two steel pillars to the basement floormid-span in the basement.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yeah, with the tank only being 40 gallons this wouldn't bother me. For what it's worth, I have basement jacks under one of my tanks because it's 80g and in the middle of a span. Your situation just doesn't seem to call for that level of effort.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, with the tank only being 40 gallons this wouldn't bother me. For what it's worth, I have basement jacks under one of my tanks because it's 80g and in the middle of a span. Your situation just doesn't seem to call for that level of effort.
Thank you, I figured 40g is small all thiungs considered but coming from a 20 long, it seems huge. Appreciate your input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.