The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a stand for my 40 gallon breeder and I found a decent deal on a 40 gallon long (55 gallon dimensions) stand. Would it work if I were to put a board under the tank to support it? Or do you think it's not worth the risk?

The stand is 48 by 13 (inches)
The tank is 36 by 18.

So, there would be an overhang of 5 inches. Should be fine with the board, right? Or would it be wobbly?

I can't fill the tank until it has a stand (cats and fish tanks on the floor don't mix...) So I'm looking for a stand asap.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i honestly would never ever attempt something like that with something that weighs that much.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It's all about the 4 corners of the tank. If you cannot support the 4 corners properly then no i would not.

·
Registered
161 Posts
you can buy an edgeglued board from homedepot or lowes that is big enough (20x48 or something like that). then glue the board to the top of the stand. you can also stain/paint it whatever color you like. its going to be rock solid.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure I would be.

Thank's for the link! Looks like a great deal.
it definitely is. like I said, I used to have one when I had a 40B and it was very sturdy.

I was lucky enough to some how get it for 12 dollars though while the dpg sale was going on. I think it was a screw up on Petco's end.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,340 Posts
It's all about the 4 corners of the tank. If you cannot support the 4 corners properly then no i would not.
It's not as important as you think. The farm I got my 22 breeders from had rows of them supported on two horizontal lengths of pipe. So they were supported about 1/3 the way in on the front and back. Like putting that 40B on 55 stand right smack in the middle. And 30 years later I bought them and they are still going. And it's not like it's one or two. I bought twelve. He had a couple hundred that way.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It's important in the sense it's sensible, and accurate feedback opposed to supporting something that isn't ok.
Also the tanks these days are not really up to par compared to those older tanks. Much higher failure rate these days.
Then there's the category of warranty issue's if such arises. I'm guilty of sloppy setups myself, but i would not advise others of doing so.

OP: Petco Brooklyn is a decent choice, cheap price, and if they are still built the same as my 29g version then the legs are adjustable for leveling. Also great space below to put a canister filter. It's held together with hex bolts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts