The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions to lighting my 40 breeder farm tank?

I have 2 inches in substrate and have a 36" Ray2 and a temporarily 48" FugeRay that I plan on hanging over my 2 - 10 gallons.

I intend on getting another 36" Ray2, so i'll have two over the 40B, but will this be enough? or a 36" Fugeray?

would it be silly if i added a 3rd light 36" FugeRay or 36" Ray2?
I would like a very high lit tank to farm more difficult/high light plants.

I will be dosing ferts and having co2 running on it ll day.
This will be a farm tank growing erios.,downoi, higher light stem plants, etc.

LMK what I should do and if a 3rd light is necessarily.

·
Registered
264 Posts
First look up the par values for both the ray and ray2 lights. Hoppy will have this up on the site under lighting. Because the 40 is fairly shallow, two ray2 fixtures would be like staring into the sun. You would have to crank your co2 and dose a ton. If that is what you are going for than more power to ya. A third light is completely unnecessary.

It is true that the higher the light the more growth you will see while adding ferts and co2. But if you over do it on the light and do not keep pace with co2 and ferts you will be growing algae and not plants. Start with one ray2 and work up from there. If the par values start to slide toward the front or back of the tank you could add a funerary or turn on the ray2 for a couple hrs a day during high light periods.

Happy growing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
One should be enough, if you get 2 Ray2 fixtures you should raise them up or turn the lights on for only 6 hours a day or so. Mike do you have a link to the thread that shows the DIY hanging kit that guy made for his Finnex fixture?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts