The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been out of this for a while, so I'm not really sure what the current state of lighting is. I've got a 40 Breeder that will probably only have 12-14" of water in it instead of 16. I'm planning on having planters along the back with emersed plants, and some driftwood sticking out of the water with some things growing on it, so the lights are going to need to be a bit off the water.

I'm planning on running yeast based co2, and lets say medium light. Ideally I'd like low cost to run, and low cost to set up. What are my options here?

I'd prefer not to run PC lights, as I think they're a dying tech, and the bulb replacement costs are terrible.

Are those MR16 LED bulbs on ebay a good option? Seems to be 3x1W and they're really cheap if you get em from Hong Kong. Any other suggestions? I'm pretty handy, so DIYing things isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I'd suggest either an DIY LED, or hydroponics double T5HO fixture.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I bought got a 5W LED GU10 bulb from ebay from an HK seller, not sure why I didn't get an E27 bulb but coudl have been something with the LEDs like being 3x1W vs 5x1W. I bought a GU10 to E27 socket converter to use it in a desk lamp for an Eclipse 12. If you're handy and creative, you can come up with ways to use it.

I would caution if you have that many to have a fan blowing on it or well ventilated. The heatsinks get hot enough to burn you if you touch it from personal experience.

T5HO would also work, I have a Current USA 36" 4x39w for a 65G reef.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.