The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tank: 40 Breeder Aqueon

Stand: DIY

Filter: SunSun Hw304B 525GPH w/ 9 watt UV

Light: Radion Gen1 w/TIR Lenses (Below for leds on it) Currently light is running at 60% with 6.5k to 7.5K @ 8hrs.
Light is 26 1/2" above the substrate, 12" above the water line.
• 8x Cree XP-G Cool White LEDs run at 5w each (5-8300k?)
• 8x Cree XP-E Blue LEDs run at 3w each (468nm)
• 10x Cree XP-E Royal Blue LEDs run at 3w each (442nm)
• 4x Cree XP-E Green LEDs run at 3w each (520nm)
• 4x Osram Oslon SSL Hyper Red LEDs run at 3w each (660nm)

Gen 1 with TIR par info: 9" @812 - 17" @490 - 29" @210 with the light at 100%

Co2: AQUATEK CO2 Regulator. Luxfer CO2 2.5 LB Aluminum Cylinder Tank. 2” Pollen Glass CO2 Diffuser bubbling into the intake of the canister filter.

Ro/Di: 200 GPD BRS Ro/Di 5 stage.

Substrate: Fluorite Black (60Lbs)

Misc Equip: Neptune Apex with calibrated Ph probe

EI Dosing Schedule :
Mon Wed Fri – 3xs week
• 1/16 tsp CSM+B
Tue Thur – 2xs week
• 1/4 tsp KNO3
• 1/16 tsp KH2PO4
• 1/16 tsp K2SO4
Sat - Rest
Sun – Water change
• 1/4 tsp KNO3
• 1/16 tsp KH2PO4
• 50% Water Change
• 1 tsp GH Booster

Plants:
Bacopa caroliniana
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Ludwigia repens
Sagittaria subulata
Hygrophila Pinnatifida
Glossostigma elatinoides
Mexican Oak Leaf (Shinnersia rivularis)
Crypts
others I don’t remember =(

Will be updating this randomly, as I think on info I forgot.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Question

Here is my main question at this time...

The dosing I am doing with the EI method, this look correct? Anyone see anything I missed? I need to change? Spot check me please.

This tank was upgraded from a 29 Biocube. I did the tranferin one day. All new flourite (rinsed). I added a little of the old flourite to help seed bacteria colonies. I added the same canister filter (media was not cleaned out to not disturb bacteria conlonies). I am adding Fluval Cycle to help the cycle process.

Pic of OLD tank setup

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, the name brand is a basic Aqueon aquarium you can get from Petco. I took an oscillating tool and cut off everything but a 1/2 off the rim. Haven't decided if I will build a canopy or not. A week ago I would have said the canopy was a definite, but last night looking down into the tank, realized how much I enjoy being able to look down into the water column... I may have changed my mind. Maybe I will do one of those floating canopies?

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I marked off 1/2 side to side then drew a line. I put a wide flat scraper tool under the rim, high up as it would go to protect hitting the glass. I used the oscillating tool to trace the line, then once the line was made I came back and finished cutting the trim. Doing it this helped me keep the line straight. On the back of the tank I went inch by inch and it didn't look as clean.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Updates: 3/3/18

Had to trim the oak leaf over the weekend. Grows very fast. Many of the leaves melting from it being grown emersed.

How do I trim this plant so the roots dont go crazy in the water colum like this?

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been a while, the tank has been on auto pilot until recently.
I am dealing with very low PH. 5.95 to 5.98.
I still have the same equipment. Co2 goes off when the lights go out.
KH-5
GH- can't seem to get the color change right. I think it's around 10. The more I test it the more I think I "see" different readings.
PH- probe calibrated last week with 4.0 and 7.0 solution. Tried api test but doesn't read.
I recently cleaned out my sunsun canister filter. I also added a hang on back filter with crushed coral to help raise the PH. Using rodi where the ph is around 6. I bring up the KH to 5 and then add barr gh booster 1tsp in 5 gallons.
Yesterday I did a 25gal water change hoping to see if that was part of the issue.

Trying to aim for 7.0 ph.
Any thoughts why the PH is low?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
405 Posts
No thought on the chemistry, though the crushed coral should help. It's a pretty tank, though, and I do love that cabinet. Did you buy it, or hand-make it? I've had trouble finding a good pre-made stand for a 40B.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks irish. It was hand made. Thankfully I have a brother that took up woodworking as a hobby. We made it together, I also had trouble finding one I liked.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.