The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After weeks of soaking top soil over and over again, I finally got to the point of adding the clay and I have now completed the mineralized top soil process. Anyway, here's some pics of my wood placement. I'd like to hear some comments before I fill the tank.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I plan on filling the tank with Rotalas (vietnam, nanjenshen, macrandra red, wallichii), maybe some Blyxa next to the wood to hide the rocks holding the wood up. I'd also like to put in some Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia' in part of the background. For the foreground I was thinking Hygro sp 'Porto Vehlo'.

·
Anti iwagumi
4,808 Posts
if you slope your substrate you would get a lot more depth out of your layout. i got this little "chart" from clwatkins. where 5 is the highest and 2 is the lowest

5 4 3 4 5 <- background
4 3 2 3 4 <-foreground

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, put a slope in. I tried to make the slope a little uneven so the view is not as symetrical. The right side has a more pronounced slope than the left, not sure if it really shows in the pics but you can definately see it in person. I also repositioned the wood on the right to point more toward the front.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I like the driftwood sculpting. Do you plan to tie moss to it? I'm not a fan of the slope in the middle though. The "V" look divides the tank too much. You could slope from front to back; however, you can provide depth by using plant rows.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with the slope. I used a little more gravel and brought the back up about a 2". The Hygro sp. 'Porto Vehlo' will probably fill in the bowl shape and make it less pronounced anyway. I haven't decided about moss yet. This tank's substrate uses the mineralized soil method so I don't plan on dosing any ferts in the water column. Any ideas on what to put in the center background?

Here's a few up close pics of the sides

Left flora (front to back) Hygro sp low grow, Hygro sp. 'Porto Vehlo', Rotala macrandra 'red', Crypt wendtii 'green gecko', Blyxa japonica, Rotala sp. 'Vietnam'

Right flora (front to back) Hygro sp. 'Porto Vehlo', Didiplis diandra, Blyxa japonica, Rotala wallichii, Rotala sp. 'nanjenshen', Java fern (on branch), Limnophila sp. 'Mini', Limnophila aromatica, Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I added some HM and Pogostemon yatabeanus in the center background. I'm waiting on some Nesaea pedicellata to put behind the Pogostemon. Hopefully it will show up next week. I would like to try and trim/train the HM into a thick bush in front of the Pogostemon & Nesaea to hide the bottom part of the stems. The Rotala 'Vietnam' in the back has already grown a couple inches and I'm seeing some new growth on the Hygro 'Porto Vehlo' also. Here's some new pics-

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was going to wait to take some more photos, but my plants are growing like crazy. It's only been 3 weeks and I needed to trim a few plants.
  • The Ludwigia sp. 'Cuba' in the back right was an inch or so from coming out of the water. I trimmed and replanted the tops behind the original plant.
  • I moved the Limno Aromatica from the back right to the back left. It was being swallowed by the 'Cuba' and I wanted a sturdier stem plant in the back left.
  • The Rotala sp. 'Nanjeshen' in the right middle was tall enought to trim and replant. I'm trying to get a bushy effect around the wood.
  • I finally got the Pogostemon yatabeanus & Nesaea pedicellata I was looking for. I put the Nesaea in the back against the glass with the Pogostemon directly in front of it. Then I planted some HM in front of that for a small leaved bushy effect to hide the bottom of the stems.
  • The Hygro sp. 'Porto Vehlo' is beginning to take off. It shouldn't be too long before the foreground is filled in.
FTS

Left and Right close up

Hygro beginning to grow

new growth from Rotala macrandra 'Red' - you can see the older green stem next to it

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't had any green water problems :knock on wood:, but I have had some pretty nasty BBA. I gave the tank a big overdose of Excel and it looks like it worked. The algae has turned a reddish/gray color today. Hopefully the otos will eat it otherwise I'll need to go back in and trim off the affected leaves. It seems to have only affected the Blyxa, so trimming shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.