The Planted Tank Forum banner

4 questions!

1915 13
I have 4 questions, the bigest of which pertains to algae. My tank is 35 gallons and I have cO2 injection.

1. I have algae (I'm not sure what it is. It looks like a brown "fog" growing around dead leaves and the riccia on the bottom of the tank. It comes off fairly easily but it gets everywhere.) I tried to take a pic but it doesn't really show) and want to treat it with excel. I have read for days now and have not come to a conclusion. Use excel flourish or not? I have read both things on this forum and elsewhere. My ph is right at 7.0, nitrates and nitrites are good, hardness varies from 7-10 (over a period of 2 weeks). CO2 is between 20-25 ppm. (at least it is using the kh/ph table, which i have heard some positive and negative reviews about). I have 1 15 watt plant light from home depot, and 50/50 (.03 actinic/10,000K t-5s) and 2 6000k t-5s. I was dosing w/Flourish every 3 days and then algae came, I thought it was because of Flourish but I have been reading about people putting more in to actually kill the algae. So what is ultimately the best solution? Dosing or not?

2. Is it ok to use "had a snail" to get rid of the snails in a planted tank? It is mostly copper.

3. Should I be using "Prime" to remove all the chemicals out of the water when I do water changes?

4. I don't have a filter on the tank, I have a carbod dioxide reactor that gives a little but not much current. Should I be using a filter? The plants are growing like crazy, but the algae is too! :(

Thanks evertyone!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
1. Don't overdose Excel to get rid of diatom algae. It will go away on its own. Also, don't randomly dose fertilizers, you need a comprehensive plan; micros without macros is feeding algae, not plants. Prune away dead leaves.

2. No, don't add copper-based algicides either.

3. Yes, it is important to treat water in order to eliminate chlorine and/or chloramines.

4. Yes, outside of specific types of "natural" aquariums, you'll want a filter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, looking at those pics from the algae site, it looks like brown algae...now what? The tank was previously a cichlid tank, I never took it down, just took the fish out and water change...I took the filter off of it because I was not sure what I needed it for. I have read that they are necessary but that is always becasue people do fish/plants...I only have plants...for now. BTW thanks for your help so far, I have been apart of other forums...not so friendly. Thanks :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've named the brown algae gowing on H.M. I call it lots of differnt names though. Ive read that if I take realy good care of my plants he will feel left out and leave. I tried to spot dose it, comes back in about a week. A filter cant hurt. Tried copper in one of my tanks, it killed the algae by turning it in to some sort of solid crystal formation. It didnt make the plants look better an was imposible to get off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update, I have been extremely busy the past 5 days and have not been able to do anything at all with my tank. Dead leaves are floating or completely brown and on the bottom and I even began to do a water change, but didn't put the water back in (5 days ago) so my tank is 1/4 empty. Much to my surprise this morning when I came back to my office (where my planted tank is) the algae is almost completely gone! The one change I made is this:
I used to turn the CO2 off every night b4 I went home (because plants don't need it at night). The one thing I did do 5 days ago was leave the CO2 on to be regulated by the regulator. The PH has stayed right at 7 and the bubbles have been constant. I am led to believe that the constant flow of CO2 is killing off the algae? Any ideas anyone else?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been reading. Now I am asking questions. Anyway, I was reading the link and keep reading that cycling takes forever to do and you can't put fish in tanks if it has not sat for ages. I set up tanks ALL the time and put fish in right after I fill it with tap water. I add Prime and some bio starter. I have never lost a fish. I have at least 15 tanks. I go to auctions in San antonio and have had to set up a tank for fish I brought back from the auction. Never lost one. I have put over 50 medium sized cichlids in a 125 gallon right after I filled it and they are all alive and breeding. Kinda confused on the problem about cycling...

Anyway, I am still looking for a concrete answer/opinion of my solution to my problem. Was the constant C02 the answer? If yes, why???

Thanks all :biggrin:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasn't sure because I know plants use ammonia nitrates and nitrites, I don't know the whole chemical reaction when using Prime. I was also not sure if it was for fish aquariums only. Thanks :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.