The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations as to how high I should have this fixture above the surface to cover the whole footprint of the tank but also give me a decent amount of light at the substrate. According to Hoppy's PAR chart, this fixture has a pretty high PAR measurement but do you think it's good enough to get me to the higher end of medium or the lower end of high lighting in this size tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
This light should get you to the medium range, I run six T5HO bulbs over a 75 and that is consider high lighting, or some people will say its above that. I have two fixtures, one has no legs and sits directly on top of the aquarium, and the other fixture has 2 inch legs. Usually people will say you want 20 inches between your substrate and your light, but tats just a guide lie, obviously you would not raise a light to the extent that it no longer functions for your needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to suspend my fixture from the ceiling, and I'm thinking 5-7 inches up should do the trick for hitting all of the edges. How long are your bulbs?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My light fixtures are 48 inches, but the actual bulbs I guess are slightly small than that dice they fit I side the fixture.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was tooling around Home Depot this am and I found a 4 bulb 48" HO t5 fixture that had really nice individual reflectors! And it was only 89.99, definitely a steal, I will try and find a link to it if they have it on their website, I'd be interested to know what people think about it

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-L...ut-Fluorescent-High-Bay-IBC-454-MV/202838871/

I think this is the one I saw...you can't really see in the pic, but the reflectors are really nice, it's rated to have 95% reflectivity...if you look online they actually have a few nice HO fixtures at H. Depot now (who knew) but the other more pricey fixtures are rated for significantly less reflective power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts