The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that having more than 2~3 inches of sand is asking for trouble, with gas pockets becoming toxic and all that jazz ... but what about with only eco-complete substrate?

Thanks .

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It should be fine with eco-complete. Just be sure to slowly stir on the substrate every few days just to make sure no air is trapped.

Good luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id like to make some slopes and hills in the tank with the plants, to create kind of like a landscape (the tank is 55 gallons)-- similar to the idea in the top image on this site: http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/

How do I stir the substrate with plants rooted in it? :icon_redf I plan on covering the substrate with dwarf baby tears and dwarf hairgrass ~

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
4+ inches in a 55gal will run you about 160.00. My question would be WHY when you can do the same thing (same concept) for less than $25.00.

I feel planted substrate such as Eco and Flor should only be considered in smaller tanks.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
4+ inches in a 55gal will run you about 160.00. My question would be WHY when you can do the same thing (same concept) for less than $25.00.

I feel planted substrate such as Eco and Flor should only be considered in smaller tanks.
i agree that Eco and Flor should only be considered in smaller tank, but they're A LOT better for plants than the pool filter sand I'm using on my bigger tank. Very expensive though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Urm, I mean~ not 4+ inches all over the bottom, but only in certain area (hills)~
Money is not much of an issue-- just wondering if doing 4+ inches in certain places would be safe or hazardous? :x

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have any fish.. tank isn't cycled yet (lol), I just started my tank last week. :s But due to peat moss turning water yellow (I don't like the look), I'm going to tear it down and restart with possibly eco-complete.

Pinoy: ah, I've checked out that thread! Looks like an excellent idea-- but where do I get the foam/filling? :x What kind of material is it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, that's what you meant. xD
I'm most likely going to get some fancy guppies, since the tap water in my area tends to have higher pH.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Ah, that's what you meant. xD
I'm most likely going to get some fancy guppies, since the tap water in my area tends to have higher pH.

Ok...now thinking forward IF you use eco I would stay away from any bottom feeding fish. Eco is very sharp and irritates the under belly of most fish.

·
Registered
426 Posts
FWIW, I have a 30 gallon that probably has an average depth of 3", which was about 3.5 bags. I bought 4 and don't remember what I did with the extra 1/2 bag. I may have put it in the tank which would actually give me an average depth of 3.5".

In any event, I have a slope in 1 corner that must be almost 6" and I'm not really worried about it.

I think 4" in a section will be fine.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Ok...now thinking forward IF you use eco I would stay away from any bottom feeding fish. Eco is very sharp and irritates the under belly of most fish.
Eco-complete is fine for bottom dwellers, I have 6+ Sterbai cories, and a gold nugget pleco, and they are all thriving in Eco complete. (75 gallon tank)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I have flourite, which is very similar to ecocomplete, 7" deep at the back of my tank and have never had any trouble. I think water and gas likely diffuses more easily through this sort of substrate, whereas sand packs in a lot tighter and creates anaerobic spots far more easily.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts