The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this awesome vase at TJ Maxx and I just could not resist. The glass is 1/4 to 1/2" thick way overkill but looks awesome and is very sturdy. The cylinder has a 7" inside diameter and is 24" tall. Really looking for opinions on what to put fish wise in the tank. As I love my cherry shrimp but I want at least one fish in there. I really would like a small school of celestial pearl danios but there is just not enough space for them.

Equipment: 4g Glass Cylinder, Toms Mini Filter (modified spray bar), AquaTop 3W LED clamp on light, Pool Filter Sand Substrate with Root Tabs

Flora: Anubias Nana Petite, Anubias Nana, Fissidens, Myrio Green, Crypt Lutea
Fauna: Cherry Red Shrimp, Fish (any suggestions?)

Full Tank Shot

Close Up

Super Red Cherry Shrimp

Can you see the shrimplet? One of probably 200 in this tank.

Crypt Lutea adapting nicely.

Fissidens Fontanus All Started From A Single Frond

Anubias Nana Petite

OLD SHOTS:

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Maybe Bumblebee goby (Brachygobius xanthozona). I think you will do best with a fish that in nature only lives in a small space. Fish that do a good bit of swimming never seem to far as well when we don't offer that opportunity to then.

Also Zebra Nerite snails.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Very nice! What light do you have on it? I agree, it would be good to see a full tank pic, I'm curious what the filtering looks like.

Darn you! Now I want to set up another aquatic landscape!!! :)

·
Banned
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will post a full setup picture later. For lighting I made a ceiling suspended wooden box that is just large enough to fit one of those clip on work lights in without the clip obviously. I have a 23 watt (i think) compact bulb in it 6500k. I am hoping it is not to much light especially since it is all focused down directly on the center of the tank. However I can always raise it until I am happy with the amount of lighting.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
good looking tank! stems can get a bit annoying in small tanks, but a tall one like this makes things easier and the stems are a perfect choice.
As far as fish go, they will jump without a lid. With a lid you could probably keep a few otocinclus if you grow good algae, or maybe you can try a small species of killifish, or some endlers, or tiny species of rasbora (chili rasbora or something even smaller).

For fish you will need something to move the water like an airstone.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have 2.5 gallon jar I keep a betta in the summer and 3 gold white cloud minnows in the winter in. I have no filter, no light, no cover. I have never had a jumper, not saying you won't, just saying in 2 years has not been a problem for me. This jar sits on top of our "laptop" table in the den, there is a skylight that is 25 feet above it, the room is very light as it also has a wall of 5 glass sliding doors. When I first set it up 2 years ago, I put a 3 leaved anubias in it, today that same anubias has over 15 leaves on it. I faithfully change 80% of the water weekly (I have well water), during which I do take the anubias out of it and wipe any diatoms off the leaves, quickly, with a paper towel. My set up is not as nice as yours, but it can work.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
it may be enough to keep some fish from jumping like rasboras, and you may get lucky and not have anything jump, ever.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
just treat them like regular danios. so there is a slight chance that your baby shrimp will get eaten without proper plant density.

I think this tank would be better off visually with 4-5 of the smallest rasbora species you can find. i remember someone kept around 18 of them in a 6 gallon plus some other fish; they really are that small. See if you can find the species I'm talking about (I forgot the name)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
wont be clear a few weeks down the line, that stem plant will take the top over ;P
and so will the water sprite if you have that in there on the right.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts