The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of those small cubes that has a back "sump" area.The water enters from the right hand rear through a carbon/floss insert and some ceramic beads. I don't like carbon so I've never replaced the cartridge. I also put some floss to cover the intakes so shrimp don't get in the sump. The water flow out the bottom, up thin sump riser then down through a sponge. I've put some crushed up lace chunks in there to harden the water for the shrimp. Then it flow into the final compartment which has a tiny powerhead to put the water back into the tank near the surface. I've placed a thin, flat, heater in there.

Substrate is traction sand.

Critters are 2 guppies, about 15-20 Bloody Mary shrimp and way too many rams horns.

There are just piles of Anubias in there. Looks like nana in the lower left. I'm not sure what the others are. There is also some narrow leaf Java Fern and some Pellia and Java Moss in there.

I currently does it weekly with Thrive liquid, just a partial squirt. But I have the dry ferts now from NiLogic and I'll have to figure something out. The anubias looks a little yellow in spots. I do about a 1/3 water change weekly now.

Light is just the LED that came with the tank. No CO2, so I guess that makes it low tech also, but not by design.

This tank sits next to my computer monitor. I work from home almost always, even before COVID. I really started enjoying the tank when I got the guppies.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice looking tank!

I love guppies. They are almost bullet proof and are always busy. if you have babies in there, you won't have many aquatic pests. Those little guys are ravenous and relentless.

Reactions: NotThePainter

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice looking tank!

I love guppies. They are almost bullet proof and are always busy. if you have babies in there, you won't have many aquatic pests. Those little guys are ravenous and relentless.
Thanks!

I love how busy they are!

Boys only. I've kept Endlers before and couldn't keep up with all the fry!

·
Registered
52 Posts
LOL, I made the mistake of getting 4 to help cycle my 75 gallon last March. 3 females and one male... probably 300plus guppies later, I'm down to about 10 or so in a my 20 gallon. There's a lot of tuxedo babies in Idaho now :)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I love the look, it reminds me of pothos but in water! Good anubias.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Pretty tank! I think the cube aquariums are great for the nano tanks, mostly by allowing room for foreground and background plants. Whether planted with all Anubias, or all crypts or all bucephalendras, or a mix of whatever, the depth (front to back) really works.

May I ask what brand of aquarium it is? I am looking for a 4-6 gallon tank to put next to my bed, with lots of RCS or Yellow Sakura shrimp. I will probably put 2-3 male guppies in as well. I would put in a betta, but you can never tell ahead of time which bettas are super territorial. (If somebody knows the way to tell, let me know.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts