The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to find a small filter with a medium to high flow rate for a 4g female betta tank. i like to use readily available carbon inserts. i know some people dont use carbon anymore but i like it. i dont like the whisper filters they are too big and the flow is not good enough. i like the filter that came with my petco bookshelf tank but its only sold as a kit. any help please??? i was thinking of the small fluval internal filter with spray bar i havent tried these yet. what do you use?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I use the Red Sea Nano Filter Rynofasho posted on my 2 gallon cube. I have CRS and Tigers there, and both have not only berried, but given birth. So I'm guessing its doing a good job keeping the water clean. It does not have a carbon insert, instead it uses a carbon sponge insert. You can buy big sheets of it pretty cheap and just cut it to size vs buying it precut.

I also have one of the Tom's small in-tank filters I use in another tank. It comes with a spray bar to help even out the flow. I use it in a quarantine tank, but it seems to work ok. Its purely sponge based as well, and seems flimsier than the Red Sea, but it is nice and small. To do carbon you'd just need to buy/make a filter bag and add the carbon yourself manually.

Since this is for a betta, keep in mind they generally don't like much current. Try to create a calm pocket somewhere for your to relax. I know the Red Sea HOB allows you to adjust the flow. I don't remember if there was a way to do that on the Tom's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.