The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will have at least 4 x 32W T8 in two shoplights over a 10" deep pool of water 48" long.

The shoplights will be suspended over it at about 14" above the water's surface.

The water will be something like 2(12"x18"widex10"deep) + (24"x9"widex10"deep) after the C-shaped divider box adheres to the back wall in the exact middle rear.(24"x9"widex10"deep). This gives me 28 gallons

What kind of light will that give me? It's in a 75 gallon paludarium...the reason for the suspension of the lights.

I could also probably fit another shoplight to give 6 x 32W 6700K T8.

Adam

·
Registered
319 Posts
Adam, shop lights are designed to spread as much light out over as much of an area as possible. I cannot even begin to take a guess as to how much light you'll be throwing around the room because it really depends on the reflectors being used. I'd say MORE lights is better when you're aiming at a smaller target than the lights were designed to hit.

Does that make sense? Hope it helped at least a little.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I understand.

I just want to know what kind of refraction the water gives to the light so I don't have algae issues and I know what kind of plants I can grow. Light travels much further in air than it does in water because of the higher refraction index.

I have the standard polished white shoplight reflectors from HD. From the wpg calculation, I would have 4+wpg (even with the T8s), but I know it's not going to be like that. I'm going to hazard a guess and say I'll get medium light from it all. Reasonable?

Adam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.