The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Another update, im not adding the betta anytime soon just to make clear.

I made 2 tests at the same time and one the gh was 0 and the other the gh is high....

I made the same thing with tetra test strips and the gh was medium.....

My tanks are all pretty good and always with this nonsense gh fluctuation when doing test strips, thats why they are not that good compared to chemical drop tests.

I added a few snails and the light time is 8h daily.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really like your little tank. Since it is a small one what type of fish do you plan on putting in it? I ask this b/c my first tank was a 10g & I think, from your pic, I had your same filter. I placed 1 betta in it & the filter turned out to be too strong. My first betta died I think due to stress complications from the constant STRONG flow (& over feeding) & my second betta died after getting his fins sucked up into the intake tube & drowning while I was at work. I wish someone had warned me about the correct filter for the correct fish. I now feel I've got the filter & flow correct in my 5g Fluval Spec. I did however have to make some alterations to the filter that came w/the tank.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I really like your little tank. Since it is a small one what type of fish do you plan on putting in it? I ask this b/c my first tank was a 10g & I think, from your pic, I had your same filter. I placed 1 betta in it & the filter turned out to be too strong. My first betta died I think due to stress complications from the constant STRONG flow (& over feeding) & my second betta died after getting his fins sucked up into the intake tube & drowning while I was at work. I wish someone had warned me about the correct filter for the correct fish. I now feel I've got the filter & flow correct in my 5g Fluval Spec. I did however have to make some alterations to the filter that came w/the tank.
Thats interesting, well, i made up this filter, i sawn the intake so it can be shorter and added a sponge to it. I also made the inside of the filter myself, there's no water flow practically, with nice filtration and no flooding inside the filter.

I had the same process in my mind "this is a strong filter for a betta in a 4.6 g tank" so i figured that out somehow and im working on the plant growth related to the water flow in the future, so the planta can also reduce it.

Thanks for the advice, whish you success

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Nice tank! I like the creative duckweed retaining wall! :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Looks like the "baby tears" were hygrophila, which is pretty standard for seeds. I wonder whether the grass will survive?

Bump: Looks like the "baby tears" were hygrophila, which is pretty standard for seeds. I wonder whether the grass will survive?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Looks like the "baby tears" were hygrophila, which is pretty standard for seeds. I wonder whether the grass will survive?

Bump: Looks like the "baby tears" were hygrophila, which is pretty standard for seeds. I wonder whether the grass will survive?
Yes, I have the real ones now.
But I like the look for now. The grass is surviving well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Not only surviving, thriving

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My betta died overnight and I bought a new one with some new plants. Looks like this guy is happy, I didn't change anything in the aquarium cause the parameters were good and everything else is thriving. No free ammonia.

My betta was old I think... and died happy I hope.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts