1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Leaf vegetable Groundcover Grass Terrestrial plant
These seem fine to me

Plant Natural foods Terrestrial plant Flowering plant Fruit
Some patches appear to be dry like... somewhat scaly I guess.. Maybe I didn't plant them right something?

I'm using ADA soil and water nearly up to the substrate line I keep a slight opening on the top because I noticed it was getting too moist in the tank.

Should I be concerned? :icon_conf

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems that more patches are getting dark green and or black. (not brown). Seems like most of the leaves are getting flaky.

What could it be?
:icon_eek:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I apologize in advance for my newbieness, but what does DSM stand for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
Oh I figured it out..dry start method...sorry for wasting time, I feel silly now :-[

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah DSM = is dry start method. :icon_mrgr

Yes I had purchased them submerged.

I'm hoping they are just going through a temporary shock or something from being submerged to immersed and will be fine :icon_sad:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yeah DSM = is dry start method. :icon_mrgr

Yes I had purchased them submerged.

I'm hoping they are just going through a temporary shock or something from being submerged to immersed and will be fine :icon_sad:
That's what I think, give it a little more time, hopefully they'll snap out of it. I've had the same thing happen to me. In the right conditions they should come back.

·
Registered
453 Posts
They obviously have good healthy soil, so I would say the only explanation is the shock of going from submerged to emersed, there is still some good life in them I would say don't get 5 alarm worries until they have been in there a week and they get a little worse, I've seen plants get worse than that and still turn around.

917 Posts
Hey, I'm having the same issue, but not as extreme. With maybe 10% of my HC now, during dry start, from submerge, shipped wet, now emersed.

Does misting more help? I mist a ton every day. It's a hooded tank but there is minimal airflow -- it holds humidity though.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would say the extra misting would help, but I don't think you want to to the point that water is puddling, I'm no expert on DSM though, maybe OP can try more misting and a more evap proof top?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure about misting as much. From what I'm reading is that hc doesn't appreciate being soaked all the time. I also noticed everything in the tank is staying quite moist even the stones with the top slightly open during the day. I just hope the plants come back to life lol! It's been day 4 now...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm not sure about misting as much. From what I'm reading is that hc doesn't appreciate being soaked all the time. I also noticed everything in the tank is staying quite moist even the stones with the top slightly open during the day. I just hope the plants come back to life lol! It's been day 4 now...

I would hold back then, but I think a more evap proof top raising the humidity might make the nutrients more available through the foliage?..again I'm just hypothesizing...it's weird to me how plants that grow under water, when grown emersed will do worse if the get overly wet lol. But like I said, I'm a complete DSM noob, so that's a concept I'll have to learn.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I don't get how the plant being an under or above water plant have issues of being too dry and or too wet lol if that makes any sense! I guess Ill just have to hope for the best.

I think I'm starting to see new growth though so ill update when I am sure of new growth

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well that's good! Keep updating the pics I'm interested, I may try this method if you have good luck for my HC

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Are you sure you brought them submerged? Most if not all HC Cuba are sold emerged and are place under water when they reach the pet store. All the major aquatic plant sellers do that, the only time you get submerged HC is when you buy off of a local seller, usually.

Anyways, if they are submerged and you do a dry start, this is what you're forcing the plant to do. It now has to switch all it's leafs to emerge, then when you fill it with water, it has to switch it's leaf back. All of this is very stressful for HC Cuba. I seen HC Cuba in worst shape that bounce back so it sort of a toss up if you want to keep going with this. Hopefully you see some new growth, it's a very beautiful plant.

Disclaimer - I have never grown HC Cuba in my life, so don't take my words too seriously.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
I feel like a lot of the time aquasoil will cause nutrient burns to plants with dsm initially.

917 Posts
Maybe root rot... I'm noticing that my HC is turning more likes yours every day, and it is the stuff in lower areas of the scape with high water level.

Nutrient burn would be visible in the leaves some, and aquasoil would not do that I believe.

Make sure your water level is filled up only to a centimeter below the surface of the lowest area of the tank. The substrate will stay moist all around, you just don't want the roots sitting in water.

I'm getting a lot of mold in my tank which is beginning to really piss me off... :alien:

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
AS would do it. Imagine how you get 4+ppm ammonia in a 60+g tank. Now realize how you have maybe a cup of water solvating almost the same amount of ammonia. Until bacteria starts to digest some of the ammonia expect to see some problems.

Mold in some respects is good. It is accelerating the natural decomposition of organic matter. However it can also kill your plants.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts