The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my new 3gal Aphyosemion australe tank. It was designed to be like the bank of a forest stream with tree roots overhanging. I found the roots in the garden, and they have been prepared for aquarium use (soaking, boiling), and there is also a piece of bought bogwood in there.

I've got Anubias nana "petite" (I think), Java moss, Downoi, an unknown cryptocoryne, and another unknown plant at the back. The moss and anubias have been tied down with cotton for now. I might get some floating plants at a later stage.

Substrate is laterite clay topped with silver sand. Lighting is 11w compact T5, and the filter is an Azoo palm filter.

The fish I chose for this tank are a pair of small, non-annual killifish, the Aphyosemion australe:

Right, now for the tank pics:

Front on

At an angle

The male

Thanks for looking. I am always up for suggestions, comments, and criticisms. :smile:

Tom

·
Registered
144 Posts
very nice, I love the wood work. That's a good looking tank for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
nice.

the unknown plant is water wisteria (hygrophilia diformis).
that is normal a. b. 'nana', not petite (petite has leaves smaller than your fingernail).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Very nice setup and neat pics, congrats MDL ! I wish I could find some killies like yours in my country, they are perfect for your tank.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm wondering if the substrate is deep enough. How many inches is it?

Other than that it's a really nice layout! :icon_smil

I think the hygrophila difformis will be totally unmanageable in there. You might want to replace that with something more suited to a nano aquarium.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's <1" at the front and about 1.5" at the back. Is that too shallow?

What would you reccommend instead of the Hygro then for that spot?

Just another pic here:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Lovely tank -- the layout and small fish really do give it the illusion of being larger than it is. I like the idea of the roots hanging into a river or stream as the inspiration for the tank -- you've made it come to life!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree, the wisteria will get too big to manage; the leaves get so big they'll be crammed against both the front and tbe back of the tank. What about rotala or ludwiga species? Easy to grow, and they're on a small scale that won't look too huge.

or, if you don't like the stem plants, what about some of the cool onion-type plants; a group of those would look kind of neat... only downside to them is that the leaves are narrow so you need quite a bit to really put any bulk there. What about some type of long, straight-leaved reed-type plant?

Beautiful tank by the way, great scale. Many nanos look as small as they are, yours looks bigger. I wish I could keep my water as clear as yours!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, the wisteria will get too big to manage; the leaves get so big they'll be crammed against both the front and tbe back of the tank. What about rotala or ludwiga species? Easy to grow, and they're on a small scale that won't look too huge.
I'll have a look round for some. I quite like the look of Rotala wallichii. I suppose macandra needs higher light than I have, yes?

I was thinking about Vallis, but then it would grow far too long and trimming it isn't a great plan.

Beautiful tank by the way, great scale. Many nanos look as small as they are, yours looks bigger. I wish I could keep my water as clear as yours!
Thanks :) Azoo palm filter, 4 blocks of siporax and stuffed with fine floss!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I suppose macandra needs higher light than I have, yes?

I was thinking about Vallis, but then it would grow far too long and trimming it isn't a great plan.
I'm not sure about light. I have two regular sockets mounted in a traditional aquarium fixture with two 15 watt spiral Flourescent bulbs, and it is far more than I need, maybe too much as my plants are ALL turning reddish, even ones that don't usually do so. ;)

At 11 watts, you're still putting in over 3 watts per gallon, which is pretty high. However, some of the more experienced people have said that once you get into these tiny tanks, the traditional watts/gallon equation doesn't really work...

Rotala and all the other stem plants grow quickly just like vallis; I was worried about this as well, but the truth is that it's just not that big a deal to trim them back every week or so. I actually think it's fun. To be honest, I tend to constantly pick at my nano tank, and having plants that quickly grow back after my "aquascaping" attempts is probably a good thing.... ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
oops. sorry. disregard my last post then... I've never kept vallis, only stem plants and foreground plants like cryptocornes and anubias...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Where did you get your bogwood? Looks SO much better than Malaysian Driftwood.

Your tank looks wonderful:bounce:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately the tank was left in my dad's charge last week and he failed to replace the tank cover properly after feeding one day. needless to say they have both jumped. :-( I am now on the lookout for more killies but they are hard to find round my way.

But.......from a plant point of view its gowing very well. The Hygro was replaced by a ludwigia sp. I found. Won't be able to get pics for about 2 weeks as I am back at college now and away from home.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts