The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 3 gallon Picotope and cannot, for the life of me, decide whether to get a dwarf puffer or get a pair of killies. I thought I had made my mind up on the killie pair but then heard that people were keeping 1 dwarf puffer in a 3 gallon and that is really tempting.

I plan on heavily planting the tank, either way and don't plan on any other inhabitants no matter which one I choose. Is there anything I should consider in making this choice? Also, the tank is frameless and therefore does not have any kind of lid...is this workable for either of these fish?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I thought about this as well when I was considering that 3 gallon picotope. I think dwarfpuffer.com recommends at least 5 gallons for the first puffer? but then I see people posts from people who have 1 puffer in smaller tanks than 5 gallons. I've never heard of dwarf puffers jumping. And they seem really entertaining/cute. What killies did you want to put in there? Any links/pictures?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Chances are great that if you put most species of killies in a lidless tank, you will end up with expensive fish "crisps" on your floor :angryfire . There are exceptions to this (annual species) but most will jump.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, as far as killies, I was thinking of the A. australe because I wanted to start with something simple and I had heard that these are a good starter killie but, I'd really hate to end up with a pair on dried up on the floor!

Maybe I should look into the puffer. I was thinking that with a 3 gallon and no other inhabitants, the space might be ideal for one.

Volatile, did you end up getting a Picotope? What did you put in it?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I ended up ordering an ADA Mini M tank this week. It's around 5 gallons, and I'm still wondering what to put in it. I've thought about 1 puffer, maybe even 2. And also neon tetras, cardinal tetras, glow light tetras, and rasboras, but scared the tank will be too small for those schooling fish. I would put a betta in it but I know it would commit suicide and jump out.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
A DP sounds best for both of you really.
they're cheap, small, fun, and petsmart selld them.

they're a fun little fish indeed.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up ordering an ADA Mini M tank this week. It's around 5 gallons, and I'm still wondering what to put in it. I've thought about 1 puffer, maybe even 2. And also neon tetras, cardinal tetras, glow light tetras, and rasboras, but scared the tank will be too small for those schooling fish. I would put a betta in it but I know it would commit suicide and jump out.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Having the small size is cool until you try and think of something to put into it. You're probably right though, any kind of schooler would need more fish than a 3 gallon can probably handle. Nice pick with the ADA. I thought about it but just couldn't bring myself to shell out the cash for it.

I think I may have decided DP...unless I can figure a way to do a lid for the killie. It might not be a bad idea either way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Digsy,

I have both dwarf puffers and killies; you could put ONE dwarf puffer in there, and as long as you take care of him well he should be ok. I had only THREE dwarfs in a 40 gallon tank and they were fine for a year, then as they started getting older they started picking on each other and biting each other, I had to split them all up.

I currently have blue gularis and gardeneri killifish and as stated they are jumpers; 99% of killies wouldn't be suited in a tank without a lid...

The tetras and schooling fish would be ok as long as there aren't too many and you did frequent water changes.

And last but not least, a betta would be a perfect addition, I've kept them in every size container from a quart to 40 gallons and they get along well anywhere and I have NEVER had one jump...

Just my 2 cents...
HTH, Cari

·
Registered
159 Posts
jebus! has no one heard of a scarlet badis??? come on people! they were once thought to be the smallest species of cichlid, and they have plenty of personality to be mistaken for one. they are however anabantidae, but don't go to the surface for air, even though they have a labrynthe organ. and they only get an inch in length, and they're gorgeous!

·
Registered
159 Posts
my tank is covered, so i don't know if they jump. they're all wild caught though, females are essentially never imported because they're drab. if they did import females i would so have gotten a pair for my 5.5.... mine has never attempted to jump, and my lid is by no means tight fitting...

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks PureSnow, I appreciate the viewpoint of a person who has both! I think, at this point, that I've ruled out killies, even though that was why I bought the Picotope. :( I didn't realize that it didn't have a lid. I wasn't at all thinking about the thing being frameless. I guess I'll just have to buy another tank for killies! My husband will be thrilled!

·
Registered
76 Posts
What about just getting a clear acrylic sheet of hard plastic from home depot or somewhere, cut it to size and just sit it on top when you're not feeding? If you get a thin sheet, it is easy to cut, could even drill out a small finger hole to lift the lid up with or feed through.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hey Digsy,

Another thing about dwarf puffers, it is recommended that you keep them in a tank with a PH of 7. Well I am using ADA Aquasoil in my tank and that lowers the PH to 6-6.5 so i don't know if I can still get a puffer. I'm going to wait it out to see if the PH goes back up in a couple weeks. Just thought you might want to consider that if you are doing a planted tank with Aquasoil.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm, that's another good point. I was thinking of using Aquasoil. I wonder if the pH is a hard and fast rule or if they can thrive in 6.5ish...any of you experienced DP owners know?

Also, LeapingGnome, I have thought of doing a lid but I'm thinking it will be pretty difficult to cut the rounded corners with any sort of precision and I think what I like most about the Picotope is how clean and uncluttered it looks. If there was some way to get it cut to fit really well, I might consider it. Not that I know the first thing about cutting acrylic but know that if I cut it myself, it would be a disaster!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just bought a 3 gallon Picotope and cannot, for the life of me, decide whether to get a dwarf puffer or get a pair of killies. I thought I had made my mind up on the killie pair but then heard that people were keeping 1 dwarf puffer in a 3 gallon and that is really tempting.

I plan on heavily planting the tank, either way and don't plan on any other inhabitants no matter which one I choose. Is there anything I should consider in making this choice? Also, the tank is frameless and therefore does not have any kind of lid...is this workable for either of these fish?
I have decided you should just acquire another 3 gallon tank then get both fish types...:biggrin: :biggrin:

Doug

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.