The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get one of these at an affordable price? I need one measuring somewhere around 44" Long by 20" High.

They're very appealing to me visually, but are they practical? Do they last? Is there anything that needs to be done to keep them in top condition?

Thanx :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have done the 3d Backgrounds before. I used 'Aqua one' brand of 3d background tiles 50inch x 20inch. These can be pre cut and siliconed into the tank if necessary. I was luck enough to have a lip of glass on the top of my tanks, so i did not need to silicone them in. This made cleaning a bit easier, but still it was a major task.

After a while I removed them permanently, heres why:

The backgrounds gave something for the BBA to grow on.
I would occasionally find my kuhli loaches wedged in behind the background (alive)
My Echinodorus tenellus was sending runners behind the backgrounds, and there were dead spots behind it also where I had white slime patches developing.
After a while I had to decide weather I wanted a pretty tank with lot's of maintenance, or a basic tank with minimal fuss.

I put the 3d backgrounds behind the tanks on the outside of the glass (like a 2d background) and although the effect isn't as nice, It saves me an hour or two cleaning them every fortnight.

Look for the 'aqua one' brand online. I got mine at an oz pet shop

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
theres some nice stuff there but i didn't seem to find anything for pricing?

I wont lie, I'm a little intimidated by the level of commitment you need to make to these backgrounds... I dont want to invest a lot of money into something that in the end, gets tossed because it just plain isn't convenient...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
who would have thought a piece of foam cost $200+ WOW
Hand made, hand painted. THey look REAL, and you don't do any work.

I doubt I could do it at home and make it look this well, for this price.

Still cheaper than some of the other options.

Lots of very economical options for smaller tanks with these guys.

We're talking about people who buy 200 glass boxes made from 6 dollars in glass.

150 dollar stands made from 10 dollars in lumbar.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i agree, i have never seen the smaller ones so cheap, and i definatley could not do that my self. but there not all "hand made" one said it is made from a form made from real rocks so i guess close enough.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We're talking about people who buy 200 glass boxes made from 6 dollars in glass.

150 dollar stands made from 10 dollars in lumbar.

haha, sadly, you have a horrible point lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.