The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 37 gal (30" x 12" x 22"h) that I will be setting up as a planted tank, low tech, low light.

I have the Current USA Freshwater Satellite + (24"-36").

Given the depth of this tank would I need to get another another LED light to boost it up or will I have do OK if I choose low light plants....? It seems due to the tank depth I may have not enough light reaching the substrate...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It looks kinda wimpy, but I was just checking this page and it was saying that the measured PAR is 21 at 24" which is on the low end of low light. If you have a deeper substrate though you could probably get the PAR closer to the mid-upper range of low light. They don't say how they measured the PAR for these lights (with water/without) so you have to take their word on it.

I would say give it a whirl, if the plants aren't growing you can add another light!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks tharsis! I did intend on building a couple of hills on this tank... Maybe an additional light will be in order. But as you suggested.. I can always add that later.. Maybe as simple as adding some of the self adhesive light strips they sell for retrofits added to the fixture itself!.. I plan on having this light over a glass cover so no worries about it getting wet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I went ahead and bought the retrofit self adhesive strip to add additional light to the Current LED fixture. Only $68 bucks on Amazon. Seems like a sound investment to me. Even if I don't need it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.