The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Title is "Big Leaf" because it's a big "leap" from my old 10G to a 38G.

Tank Specs & Stats:
Tank: 38G [36"x12"x19"]
Filter: AquaClear 20 + Rena Filstar XP2 [Arriving Jan. 5th '10]
Heater: Aqueon 100W, AquaClear 50W
Lighting: Coralife Double Light SW (swapping lights) Arriving Jan. 5th '10]
Substrate: 1/3 Eco Complete, 2/3 Fluorite Black
Decor: Manzanita Driftwood and Lava Rocks
CO2: DIY for now, but will do pressurized later on.

Fauna:
3 Peacock Gudgeons
4 Pencilfish
3 Guppies

5 Nerites (Zebra and Clithon spp.)
2 Cherry Shrimp

Flora:
Vallisnerias
Anubias
Hygros
Flame Moss
Taiwain Moss
Tiger Lotus
Java Fern

As for stocking, I'm not sure exactly what I'm gonna have aside from the Peacock Gudgeons, Habrosus Corydoras and Angelfish and a school of 10 or Furcata or Threadfin Rainbowfish.

If you have any suggestions on fish, I'd like to hear them!

Pics:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response guys! Happy New Year!

The water is much clearer now, but it's still cloudy.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The hygro is in the back left (the dark area) I just realized it's cut out of the pic.

LIghts are gonna be here soon along with my XP2

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it's NO. I ended up getting the SW but I was gonna swap out the actinic light for a 6700K since BigAlsOnline were out of the FW one.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stockig for this tank is going to be.

6 marbled hatchetfish
16 chili rasboras or 10 forktail rainbowfish
5 Peacock gudgeons
7 habrosus corydoras

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Peacock Gudgeons, actually, Tateurndina ocellicauda. They are peaceful and grow to about 2.5 inches maximum. Females have a black stripe on the edge of their fins. Males have a pronounced bump on their head.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know, I spent so much money there combined than all the other fish store, but couldn't resist their fish varieties.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nope, their RCS were like $7 a piece, so I just ordered online. I purchased the Tiger Lotus from them when I wen to get Fluorite Black.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update:
Rena Xp2 and Coralife Aqualight came in on Tuesday. Not happy with the Aqualight because it's only 42 watts and I'm wanting something more.

HEre are pics:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not as happy as I would have been. It only provides 42 watts.. plus it's half actinic but I'm supplementing it with my old hood.

I'm still thinking about if I want to return it or not soon and just buy a different one.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, I'm gonna be looking for a new bulb, but the thing is the bulb is only 5/8" so it's the smaller version and I'm not sure where to get that aside from online.

Also, I forgot that I was using my old hood also. I might just modif my old hood so I can use that.

So it's abotu 80 watts right now. I just use them both at the same but but might start making a staggered lighting.

Thanks for your help man!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I knew it was 42 watts, but at the time I thought it would be fine since it was T5. But I ended up geting the SW because they were out of stock but I'm just gonna buy the freshwater bulb.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yesterday, took a ride to the pet store. Came home with 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 2 Honey Gouramies and 1 CPO (for $8 :) Gonna get more CPOs later.

Pics:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nice tank you got there... That red leafed plant is awesome, and let me tell you, it grows like a weed... I had one in a low light set up and within a matter of months the damn thing took up like 25%+ of the tank with leaves that were bigger then a dinner plate...

Do you have CO2 and ferts? (sorry if you mentioned it in earlier posts, I was initially just looking at the pics :icon_bigg
I have a DIY CO2, but nothing extreme. Saving up for a better set-up. Also, I don't dose ferts but wil start too as soon as I can get some Fluorish Excel.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Aww ew. I think my DIY CO2 is making my filter tubes all slimy. When I hit the tubes, white stuff comes out.. arghh.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts