The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
After 5 years I decided to set up a planted tank once again. However this time I had hard time setting up and maintaining a clean pristine tank. Please comment, Id be very happy to hear your thoughts.
This is a 100x38x48 tank, custom built for the library.
I am using 800lh canister filter, ph controller as you can see at 6.8. KH is around 10.
I am dosing EI solutions I mix. NPK and CSM+B, with extra Fe Gluconate.
Lighting, I have Finnex 24/7 one 90cm and one 60cm, so total 2 fixtures

After the filter media installed, the lh reduces to around 250, which may be low and my main reason for still seeing diatoms.

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts
Thanks, good to be back to the hobby
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-09 at 13.38.25.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-09 at 13.38.38.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-09 at 13.38.05.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-09 at 13.38.14.jpeg

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think it looks very nice! If the flow is reducing to 250lph I think that's quite low. I would tweak the media and see if you can get a stronger flow. Or adjust the flow from the skimmer powerhead if possible?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I think I need a 1200lh filter. I almost lost my r.waliichi because of diatoms even after 2 months.

I remember hearing in a greenaqua video, that even too much co2 may be the reason or the silicates from my rocks that i collected from nearby mountain area. At the beginning before adding my ph controller im sure i dosed way too much co2 and ph probably dropped to about 6.4 even 6.3.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It's possible, personally I like a high flowrate in the tank, but some plants can't handle it. I would think the 1200lh would probably be a benefit. Maybe you can find a canister with adjustable flow that can push more water than 1200, then you can adjust from there depending on filter media etc. Perhaps oxygen levels are low?

In my 12g long I have a 200gph (760lh) powerhead and also a 150gph (570lh) HOB filter. It's a lot of flow, but it's directed in a way that the plants are fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So heres an update, i changed to a 1500lh canister filter and almost doubled seachem matrix amount.

And its like day and night, diatoms are gone!!
Now i can inrease the light intensity and see how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts