The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the articles and stickies and threads and searched the shop sites. I'm still more than lost, not to mention increasingly frustrated, when it comes to lighting. Everything I read conflicts with something else I read. (I thought low tech would be easier than this.) :confused:

I am trying to set up a 38 gallon (36 1/4" x 12 5/8" x 19 3/4"), low light, low tech tank and need a light fixture to replace the stock fixture.

Hilde turned me on to Coralife Aqualight T5 Freshwater Dual Lamp Fixture, and I thought it was the one... then I found the same lamp on Amazon... and the reviews are not so pretty. Now I'm back to square one.

Can anyone offer specific advice on an appropriate light fixture? :help:

jp

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
Hi JP,

If you can do some DIY you could upgrade your existing fixture to LED and have a good medium-low light set-up with a PAR value of 47. Use 2 of the 15 watt 17" LED lamps, they will fit in an existing strip light fixture.

·
Registered
6,773 Posts

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
If you plan having a high amount of plants in there, I think that fixture will be okay for low tech. Its reflectors aren't great I heard, and if there are legs to raise the fixture a few more inches above the tank I dont think there will be a problem. With legs the PAR might be like 35-40. But if the tank won't be very planted, you might have some algae issues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi JP,

If you can do some DIY you could upgrade your existing fixture to LED and have a good medium-low light set-up with a PAR value of 47. Use 2 of the 15 watt 17" LED lamps, they will fit in an existing strip light fixture.
I'm not so great at the technical stuff, but if it comes down to it, I may have to give it a go.

If you plan having a high amount of plants in there, I think that fixture will be okay for low tech. Its reflectors aren't great I heard, and if there are legs to raise the fixture a few more inches above the tank I dont think there will be a problem. With legs the PAR might be like 35-40. But if the tank won't be very planted, you might have some algae issues.
Thanks for the feedback. Would it also help to lessen the number of hours the lights are on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts