The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 37 gallon planted tank that when it is cycled will be a nice ram tank. i want one pair of gbr and one pair of ebr. i had one ebr but because of a ph spike it died. right now i have 2 small angels, 4 rosy tetras, 4 celebies rainbows, 1 clown pleco, 1 molly (lived his whole life in freshwater and is doing great), 1 platy, and 3 female bettas. i have a aqua clear 70 and a sand filter on it and a full spectrum light. i have checked my levels and everything is looking great... but i am having a really bad Algae bloom. at first lit looked like a bacteria bloom so i added some clarifier. that did nothing, so i did a 35% water change and after that it turned green. i did a 4 day blackout and it looked like it had gotten better for a day and than it came back with a vengeance. so i tried the algaecide and that made it worse, so Monday i did a 50% water change and started another blackout that i wont stop until the algae is dead. i did find out what caused the bloom though, the room it is in gets a lot of indirect sunlight. ive read up on daphnia and think im going to try to ad them in a breeding box and hope they can eat it up. im just so frustrated because its been almost 4 weeks now and i want it gone. i would also like to add new fish but not sure if thats a good idea. if i could i would do a 100% water change and hope that would do it but i know that it wont do much good. any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If the water is green, the easiest way to get rid of it us a UV sterilizer. They are good thing to keep handy too in case you need to run it for other things. They work wonder on green water.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Yes, if your wallet permits, get a UV sterilizer - it'll clear it up completely in a couple of days -like magic. Then you'll want to work on getting more balanced tank conditions to prevent it recurring.
Your light intensity & lighting period may have a lot to do with it. Start with that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish i could but my wallet would not be happy if i got one. i had looked into it but its out of my price range.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Perhaps someone in your city who has one would be willing to lend you theirs for a couple of days.
I've loaned mine twice to get rid of green water ('cause they asked nicely).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i just talked to my mom and she is going to buy me one because i bought dinner the other night. lets hope this works :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You will have to get her something extra special for mothers day then!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update, just got the UV yesterday and placed it in my tank, its running nicely and i might have seen some improvement already, later tonight we are going to my lfs to pick up some new fish, i hope they still have some electric blue rams and some colorful swords, ive been keeping up on checking my parameters and everything is looking great, ill update tonight or later tomorrow because i work at 5am tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i did a full black-out for a week, took off the blanket, did a 50% water change and next day the algae was back

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how, after it got cloudy i stopped dosing my tank with plant fertilizer, ive done SEVERAL water changes, two different black-outs with an algicide treatment in between, what else could i do besides an uv sterilizer?
i dont mean to be rude but its ether the uv or a diatom filter and the uv was cheaper

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
You haven't mentioned your lights and photoperiod yet. What do you run and for how long?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i havent had my light on for a week and a half now, before and i hope after the bloom im going to do an eight to ten hour photoperiod and i have the full spectrum aqueon light, im hoping to switch to leds at a later date

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'd reduce to 6 hours to start and slowly work your way back up to no more than 8 honestly.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
how, after it got cloudy i stopped dosing my tank with plant fertilizer, ive done SEVERAL water changes, two different black-outs with an algicide treatment in between, what else could i do besides an uv sterilizer?
i dont mean to be rude but its ether the uv or a diatom filter and the uv was cheaper
I don't mean to be rude either, but green water is the symptom of a problem with your system. Especially when you've done so much to subvert it so far.

A UV sterilizer might work for now, but what happens when you turn it off, or it gets weaker? I had a 55g that had green water once, lights out for a few days and it never came back. in fact... the water was never as clean as the day i turned the lights back on haha.

the uv sterilizer is like putting a cold compress on your head because you've got a fever. the fever doesn't go away, your forehead just isn't hot while you're using it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im not worried about it coming back, we had several parameter imbalances and way to much indirect sunlight that it just flourished, ive fixed the parameters and the window has blinds now, my problem is getting rid of the stuff which with the sterilizer should be no problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, on my way home from the lfs with fish in tow, two neon swords and four gbr for my 37 gallon and on peacock goby for my 2.5 dwarf puffer tank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts