The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 37 gallon tank that I intend to run low-tech (not adding CO2), fairly heavily planted, with a Rena XP2 canister filter.

I would like to stock 12 each of cardinal tetra, rummynose tetra, harlequin rasbora, and panda cory. Also 1 dwarf gourami.

If I go to aqadvisor and plug this stuff in, it tells me I am at 149% stocking level and gives me a big red "you'd better know what you're doing" warning.

If I keep the same fish but reduce the aquarium size from 37g to 30g breeder (fewer gallons, but lot more surface area), my stocking level drops to just 84%.

This leads me to believe that I won't have water quality issues, but my fish might be starving for oxygen. I want happy fish that thrive. Do you think I need to reconsider my plan? THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You are talking about putting 45 fish in one 30" long tank. Most of those will be in the same area of the tank. I would reconsider the stocking if I were you. Something along the lines of a school of 24ish of one of the mid level fish, 8 or 9 Corydoras and the Gourami is what I would shoot for. That all depends on how much wood/rocks/decor you have in the tank also.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
667 Posts
So long as you have some surface agitation produced by the return from your canister filter you won't have a lack of oxygen no matter what your stocking density, in my experience. You might even be losing the benefit of any CO2 which is naturally produced by your system if it off-gassing quickly. However, if you were significantly overstocked and had a problem with your filter then you could be in trouble quickly.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
That's 4X what I would put in that tank, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. Make sure you have good surface agitation, and water column turn over from bottom to top, use a lot of plants and filtration, and they might be OK.

I imagine from the fish's perspective it would be kind of like 20 people living in a one bedroom apartment though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

My thinking was that the gourami and the rasboras would be spending most of their time in the top of the tank, and the tetras in the middle and bottom of the tank, so it wouldn't be terribly crowded in any particular stratum.

I'll consider either reducing the size of each school, or dropping one of the tetra schools entirely.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know this isn't really answering your question but regardless of the surface area issue, IMO it's gonna be totally overstocked.

I'm using AQAdvisor to stock my tank, a standard 30 gallon and while it shows me ended under 100% stocking I personally feel it will be a bit overstocked by the time all the fish are fully grown.

I have 14 Tiger Barbs and a Blue Gourami right now. Planning to add a RTBS to the bottom in a few months and that'll be it for me. By my count, that's about 45 inches of fish in a 30 gallon tank (1.5" per gallon). I feel comfortable with this given my 7+x filter turnover, heavily planted tank, and my years of experience keeping fish.

I don't have time to look up the sizes of all the fish you want to add, but by my rough calculation you're gonna have 90" of fish in a 37 gallon tank. That's almost 2.5" per gallon. You're flowrate on the XP2 is gonna be about 8x turnover I think so you're good there.

Personally, I'd drop about half the fish you're thinking to get. Get 6-10 Cories, the Dwarf Gourami, and fill out the remaining stocking with no more than about 15 of other fish (mid-dwellers). You'll end up with about 50" of fish which should be ok.

Also, I know fish per inch isn't the best indicator of what a tank can support. Much like the WPG rule, again IMO, this is a baseline as a place to start when considering plans for a tank.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Personally I dont go by what a website tells me. If my nitrites/amonnia dont get above 0 then I dont have a stocking problem. Of course there are other issues that can come into play but im speaking generally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts