The Planted Tank Forum banner

37 eb ram tank

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Cupid's fish 
#1 ·
i am new to planted tank and am looking for some ideas for my 37 gallon tank. right now ive got one electric blue ram (looking to get 1-3 more when my lfs gets more in), one smaller platy, a lovely sailfin lyretail molly, 4 celebies rainbows, a bristle nose placo, 3 female bettas (they were in their own tank but i had to put them in there and take out my dwarf puffer), and 2 quarter sized angelfish. it is a fairly new tank. i had a 10 gallon with my ram, placo, angel, molly, platy, and 3 dwarf puffers (that are now in a take all by themselves). i know that i will be getting at least one more eb ram but would like 2 pairs with the hope to breed. the tank really revolves around the rams and was wondering what would be some really cool fish to ad without distupbing the rams and thier babies.
here is a list of things i was thinking about but not sure it would work out:
discus
peacock eel/smaller fw eel
fw shrimp
weather loaches
bottem feeders (will any not eat the fry)
i would like some top swimmers too

thank you for all of your help

#2 ·
big no to discus, tank is not big enough for discus nor is it planned for discus (ie substrate, temp, w/c regimine etc)

I would add some hatchet fish to the top or some killies, and some corydoras for the bottom. Honestly I think with the 2 angels you are going to be topped out once they grow up. It will be lovely. You could add the corydoras and still not be above your limit I would say, they addition of the rams will make it look more lively. In that size tank make sure your rams have plenty of obvious divisions so they can territorialize.

#3 ·
i thought as much with the discus, i really like them but will have to wait for another tank for them.
i was thinking about hatchet fish, fun looking fish. i do like the killies too but i was reading that they will stress my rams to death.
would the cories terrorize the rams when they are breeding and eat the fry?
and what about fresh water shrimp? would they do well, get eaten or will they eat the fry?
i was also thinking about adding some swordtails too

#4 ·
corydoras will do fine with your rams. even if they spawn they will be able to hold off corydoras, but I doubt the eggs would survive anyway in a community tank...some amano shrimp will survive if you get some of the adult ones, plus they wont breed in your tank and take over it. I love hatchet fish, I get the silver ones because that is what I can find but I once had some marbled hatchets and loved those even more, they are hard to find though. be careful with all those livebearers (swordtails, mollies, platys etc) they will breed to death and you will have a ton of them. Try a small school of cool tetras, like lemon tetras, you don't have any yellow in there yet do you??

#5 ·
ive got a breeding net that i was thinking of using after the fry hatch or maybe ill move them into a grow up tank if need be. i will look into the cory cats than. i love livebearers, the swords the most and am not to worried about having to many of them, but it is just a thought. as for yellow ive got the celebes rainbows and the albino bn placo. i dont really like tetras as much unless there are many different schools of tetras. ill see if my lfs has amano shrimp because i love seeing them

#10 ·
quick update:
have not added any new fish to the tank, yet. i dont have a car and my work has a limited supply of fish. i will try to get 3 more electric blue rams... just a thought but if i got one more electric blue could i get a pair of another ram like the German or golden? not sure what else i might get but it does depend on what the store has in stock... i tend to be an impulse shopper, except with fish. i always have my phone on me so i can research the fish first.
all 3 of my bettas have become gravid, i am worried that they might have heath problems if they dont mate, am i worrying for nothing or should i set up my breeding tank again?
i was also wondering if i could try to introduce my dwarf puffers in my community tank or if its better to keep them out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.