The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 58 gallon (36x18x21) low tech aquarium that I plan on dosing and adding excel. I am considering the Coralife Aqualight 2 x 39W T5HO Fixture, Catalina 3 x 39W T5HO and the Odyssea 4 x 39W T5HO with moonlights.

With the first I would run both T5HO suspended about 8" off the top of the tank or just use 2 T5NO bulbs.

With the second I would run 3 x T5NO

With the third I could run all 4 T5HO, alternate 2 T5HO on in front and then run the rear, or run 4 T5NO. My thinking on this is the reflectors are crap so I may be able to run all T5HO and if not I can play around with the other options.

Also considering 96W PC fixture but not sure how that relates to the T5 and my dosing plans. The only thing I don't like about PC's are having to change the bulbs so quickly.

I know someone may ask about what I plan to dose, right now I am running the stock marineland 12gal lighting (17W) and dosing Pfertz N and Micro every other day plus Excel 1ml everyday and am having good results with swords, anibus nana, wisteria and some crypts. I plan to keep similar plants in the 58. The only thing I really don't want to deal with is adding CO2, I am open to pretty much anything else.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Also considering 96W PC fixture but not sure how that relates to the T5 and my dosing plans. The only thing I don't like about PC's are having to change the bulbs so quickly.

Thanks for your input.
Why would you consider using PC when T5HO are more efficient. At least the first 2 would be if they have individual reflectors.

I wouldn't bother with the PC fixture unless you have it already.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have a 58 gallon (36x18x21) low tech aquarium that I plan on dosing and adding excel. I am considering the Coralife Aqualight 2 x 39W T5HO Fixture, Catalina 3 x 39W T5HO and the Odyssea 4 x 39W T5HO with moonlights.

With the first I would run both T5HO suspended about 8" off the top of the tank or just use 2 T5NO bulbs.

This would give you medium-high light so you would want CO2 if using HO.
Might be medium-low with NO since you will be overdriving the bulbs

With the second I would run 3 x T5NO

Might be medium lighting since you are overdriving the bulbs.

With the third I could run all 4 T5HO, alternate 2 T5HO on in front and then run the rear, or run 4 T5NO. My thinking on this is the reflectors are crap so I may be able to run all T5HO and if not I can play around with the other options.

This would most likely be medium with 2 bulbs and still high with 4 bulbs even with the poor reflectors.

The PC would probably be low to medium light.

I know someone may ask about what I plan to dose, right now I am running the stock marineland 12gal lighting (17W) and dosing Pfertz N and Micro every other day plus Excel 1ml everyday and am having good results with swords, anibus nana, wisteria and some crypts. I plan to keep similar plants in the 58. The only thing I really don't want to deal with is adding CO2, I am open to pretty much anything else.

Thanks for your input.
When you use NO bulbs in an HO fixture you will be overdriving the bulbs and will shorten the life of the bulb.

As for dosing I am still learning that and am not a lot of help. I do know the lower the light intensity generally the less dosing needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.