The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
are you experienced?
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 36 watt ah supply light kit, i wanted to put it in the the stock 24" plastic hood that came with the tank. the reflector fits perfect but the ballast wont go under the reflcetor without the reflector sticking out and looking crappy. can i put the ballast on the back of the hood or should i just build a new hood for the light? i thought the light was made for replacing the stock lighting in the same hood but i see its not since the ballest is to big.

has anyone ever replace there stock 20g plastic hood with a ah supply 36w kit?
thanks

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Yes, you can put the ballast behind the fixture or other places.

There is a picture on AHSupply's site that shows this.
http://ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

Go down to where you find this comment and they are two pictures:
"Click on the photo above to see a regular light strip for a 2ft. long tank retrofitted with a Bright Kit™ and a 55watt bulb. The ballast is simply mounted on the outside back of the strip."

·
Registered
711 Posts
i've retrofitted four aga 20h strip lights with ahs 36w kits. very easy if you are somewhat handy. i've mounted the ballasts on the right rear corner of the fixture (gotta drill a couple of holes to mount the ballast and another bigger one to accommodate the wiring), but i think mounting it remotely would be safest. you also will have to drill two holes to mount the reflector; use the posts that the stock reflector is screwed into, they are the perfect height so that the ahs reflector remains flush with the fixture.

i've noticed that the 36w kit now comes with an 18" reflector, so order the 55w kit (same price iirc), which comes with a 22" reflector, and order a 36w bulb. the ballast is the same for both kits. hth.

·
are you experienced?
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the kits i bought came with the 22" reflector that fits in the 20g hood perfect,i have the 36w bulb and 55w bulb kits, they are the 55w kit but has a 36 watt light. both have the same 22" reflector.

i see the pic now on ah supply site, i didnt see it before so thats good, i may still build a diy hood today for the light so it looks better and hides the ballast. i dont want to put my hand on it or water get on it by accident lol.
thanks for the replys i build all my own stands and hoods so im sure i can throw something together quick today hopefully and get this tank done tomorow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts