The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning an led light for a freshwater 46 gal bowfront. This is what ive come up with so far.
36 inches of Makersled Heatsink 165 (this heatsink is way cool!)
4x Meanwell eln-60-48D 140
Dim4 controller 85
8x warm white xpg led 24
32x cool white xpg led 144
12x royal blue led 41
2x violet led 11
plus misc items VAR$

arranged like this
c c w c w c c c c w c w c c c=cool white
w= warm white
c b c b c b c b c b c v c b b= royal blue
v= violet
b c v c b c b c b c b c b c

c c w c w c c c c w c w c c note all royal blues on one driver

now this comes to about $640.00 with one dim4
$730 with two dim4 for mid afternoon clouds with moonlighting
or $1050.00 with an apex and diy cat5 (this would keep me entertained for a while)

So my question is is this adequate or overkill (im thinkin at least 7500 lumens)
would something like this be equevalentish <---I know ?
[Ebay Link Removed] for 550ish
or is it easiest to go with ?
[Ebay Link Removed] 6xt5 with moon leds and timer for 180ish

Am I missing anything?
What the heck is inrush?
ever hear of an 18 conductor power cord ? (just trying to figure wiring options)
would it be worth it, kepping in mind I can afford it but the wife will not be very happy?
Should i spend more and go with XM-L leds?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
formating changed but its 4 rows of 14 LEDs with the center rows zigzaged with respect to driver and all blues on one driver.

·
Registered
481 Posts
wow, thats alot of LEDS, WHY SO MANY!!?? have you researched what you need for a 46 gallon tank. for my 55 gallon, I have come up with needing about 10 xpg cool whites underdriven at 1000ma to get 40-50 Par at the substrate. Are you building a steam oven with that thing?

also ebay links wont work here, FYI

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Description of first linlk(removed)
This fixture will automatically dim to imitate the rise and set of the sun. There are 5 different modes pre-programmed into the fixture.

Manual dimming of the fixture can be easily done to acclimate your corals in a stress-free environment.

You can also dim the actinics, whites and moonlights to your liking.

LED type: Bridgelux (cree available in my other auctions of unit.)

White 14000k: 18 pcs

blue 460nm: 12 pcs

Blue 453: 6 pcs

Angle: 60 degree
Control of unit: LCD screen mounted on unit, remote up to 10 feet and a manual dimmer mounted on the fixture.
Warranty: 2 years
Lifespan: 50 000hrs +
Actual unit size: 35.5 inches x 9.5 inches x 2.5 inches

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, thats alot of LEDS, WHY SO MANY!!?? have you researched what you need for a 46 gallon tank. for my 55 gallon, I have come up with needing about 10 xpg cool whites underdriven at 1000ma to get 40-50 Par at the substrate. Are you building a steam oven with that thing?

also ebay links wont work here, FYI
Maybe but the tank is pretty deep i think 20 inches id certainly be happy with fewer leds and drivers, i do want glosso, not sure what par id need.

·
Registered
481 Posts
just guessing but I think 2 rows of 10 spaced evenly 3 inches apart would be a more resonable number. You can still get all the extras you want, dimmers, programmers etc etc.

check out this kit, everythink you need for 185 except heatsink, you can add any programmer you want to that.
http://www.rapidled.com/24-ultra-premium-led-diy-kit-with-dimmable-drivers/

ps my tank is 22inches deep, which I think is 2 inches deaper than yours. If you did that 24 led kit that actually probably too much light too and you would have to dim it back a little but its more reasonable and will keep you from getting a divorce.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Extreme overkill. Too many LEDs and too expensive. At that price you're better off buying a nice LED light.
And I always suggest checking out LEDs in person before making the purchase.

·
Registered
270 Posts
just guessing but I think 2 rows of 10 spaced evenly 3 inches apart would be a more resonable number. You can still get all the extras you want, dimmers, programmers etc etc.

check out this kit, everythink you need for 185 except heatsink, you can add any programmer you want to that.

ps my tank is 22inches deep, which I think is 2 inches deaper than yours. If you did that 24 led kit that actually probably too much light too and you would have to dim it back a little but its more reasonable and will keep you from getting a divorce.

Are you familiar with their products? I'm interested in their PAR38 bulbs, http://www.rapidled.com/7-led-par38-bulb-all-white-leds/
Do they work with Home depot work light fixtures?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

What lenses would you suggest for this kit and a 36" wide x 20" high x 18" deep tank?

·
Registered
481 Posts
depends on where you are hanging the fixture, if its going to be right over the tank, I would do 80 degree optics for a more even spread, if you are going to be hanging higher off the tank you could go with a more focused optic. Hoppy has a thread with a calculation for specifics on this kind of thing, I am just using my best guess based on what I found. I will be doing 80s on my build.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
depends on where you are hanging the fixture, if its going to be right over the tank, I would do 80 degree optics for a more even spread, if you are going to be hanging higher off the tank you could go with a more focused optic. Hoppy has a thread with a calculation for specifics on this kind of thing, I am just using my best guess based on what I found. I will be doing 80s on my build.
Thanks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
rapidled also has a solderless kit. No real DIY just assemble, they give you instructions and everything you would need. I wouldnt wait on the marineland one, it will most likley be worthless like their other LED lights. Check out ecoxotics lights or aquaray/grobeam, that is what I have currently on my tank.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
For those who fear soldering... Please, have someone teach you.
Just having someone teach and letting you solder a few joints will give you the skill. $20.00 for a reasonable soldering kit and a few minutes with someone else to guide you and you'll have a life time skill and tools.

LED circuits are even easier than electronic kits. At Maker Faire events they teach kindergarteners how to solder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wWcuGRFM9I

There are a lot (too many) learn to solder videos on You Tube. Some of the posters solder worse than my kid did two weeks after he learned - when he was nine.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
As to worth, I invested about $150 in parts. $100.00 of that is now lighting my 70g tank quite nicely. Not purchasing one set of four power compact lamps and the energy savings covers what I spent on the LED stuff in nine months.
Every day after that I'm saving energy and cash.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.