The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is almost 2 weeks since I flooded my 12G tank after a few months of growing DHG immersed. Since then, dosing CO2 24/7 via paintball CO2. 1 bpm. The reason it's 24/7 CO2 is because it doesn't have a solenoid so it's always on at 1 bmp. Never had a problem doing this before.

There isn't a problem...yet, and I hope not, but I want to avoid any before it happens.

* The 36" Fugeray is on 10 hours a day total.
10AM - 1PM (3 hrs.)
3PM - 6PM (3 hrs.)
8PM - 12AM (4 hrs.)

* 6.75" above the water surface, as in, the exact distance between where the light emits and the surface of the water.

* This tank has PLENTY of flow.

* Have a few Nerite snails, Amano shrimps and a whole farm of Painted Fire Red Shrimps.

* DHG and Mini Pellia is growing extra well. The M. Pellia leaves are becoming bigger, broader, instead of narrow.

The thing that concerns me at this moment is just the algae on the glass. I had to scrape down the glass because there is a good amount of algae on it. Don't see anything on the plants, stones, etc. though, just on the glass.

Does that mean:

1.) I have more CO2 than the light can "use up"?
2.) Not enough CO2?
3.) Lower the light?
4.) Raise the light?

Based off the charts, my par rating sits around 75 = medium/high light?

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
I would consider the light reaching the substrate to fall in the medium light category.

Any particular reason why the lamp is raised so high above the tank?

i'm going to wager a guess that you havent started using liquid ferts yet?

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would consider the light reaching the substrate to fall in the medium light category.

Any particular reason why the lamp is raised so high above the tank?

i'm going to wager a guess that you haven't started using liquid ferts yet?
With the research I did, with CO2 at only 1bpm, I figured I needed the light that high to not start any algae. Good thing it didn't...yet, still crossing my fingers but it did on the glass which concerns me that it still isn't far off enough since I am almost certain that lowering it will only make the algae on the glass worse and perhaps start off some other algae as well. Didn't want to mess with the CO2 output because the fish, shrimp and plants are all loving it right now. Don't fix what isn't broken right?

I am dosing every other day with Flourish Comprehensive :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts