The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my wife's 36 gallon bowfront tank with her pair of lesbian freshwater Angel fish. Other inhabitants include a male and female albino bushy nose pleco and a single khuli loach who couldn't resist living in my canister filter and was moved to this tank from the 55g. I'm looking to get rid of the angels so we can turn the tank into something a bit more interesting to look at, like a couple sets of German Blue/Gold Rams or maybe a change into Discus.

This tank is the epitome of low tech. No ferts and water changes every other week whether it needs it or not. The BBA on the amazon leaf is from it's time spent in a tank with DIY Co2, it isn't spreading so I have left the leaf alone.

Plants:
Amazon swords (2 mother plants and babies)
Java Fern
Hydrocotyle

Substrate:
Eco complete mixed 2-1 with inert gravel

Light:
40 watts T12
36 watts T5

Filtration:
AQ 70
AQ 20

Ferts:
Nadda

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
i have six discus in a 55 gallon. Jack W. says that 8-10 gallons per discus. hell i know a guy who has 5 in a 20 long and they are full grown. i would say your tank is big enough for at least 3 with maybe a group of cardinals to top it off. happy fish keeping i love discus they are amazing

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
how big does the tank need to be for them?
For Angels? I don't know. Need is a strong word. I know people breed them in 10 and 15 gallon tanks. They get to be fairly big fish, and part of their allure is their regal appearance. I think that is best shown in something like a 55, but that's not to say that you can't keep 2 non-breeding angels in a 35. They don't look cramped in that picture, and the way you have scaped it allows for natural hiding spots for a tall skinny fish like an angel.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well they do "breed" but the eggs are infertile and then they eat them anyway (yay free food!). They do beat up on each other periodically before laying eggs but can always get away from each other.

They're both terrified of the male ABN that is in the tank for reasons I can't begin to understand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts