The Planted Tank Forum banner

350GPH enough for 55g?

659 2
So my HOB biowheel filter gives me 350GPH but I'm worried that this isn't enough circulation for my moderately planted 55G.

Should I add a small powerhead to get more flow or is 350GPH enough?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
For my tanks I use 2 canister filters, 1 on each side and put the outflow pipes on the sides of the tank at a little upward angle and then I'll use a aquaclear 20 powerhead about 6" down from the water line and point it in the direction of the other side of the tank.

I've always had filters on each side of my tanks, whether they were HOB filters or canister filters.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Your HOB filter might be large enough and all you'll need is one or two small power heads to circulate water in the tank itself. There are a couple of things to consider to help determine if the filter is large enough for your system.

Knowing the nitrate level is a key indicator. Check the level before and after a water change against what you want to maintain. A zero level is the ideal, but not always obtainable.

The frequency of your water changes is another consideration. Most people do weekly water changes while others do 2-3. Again it depends on the bio load of your tank and the nitrate level readings. I'm a huge advocate of water changes. You can have a filter normally too small and compensate with more water changes and fewer fish.

I run my 60-gallon with two canister filters. One is dedicated to bio-media and the other is filled with foam sponges. I rarely service the bio canister and clean the mechanical filter when I notice the return rate starts to slow down. Consider the two canisters as a sump used in marine tanks. It's a way to increase the total water volume of your system. There are many ways to run a successful tank and this is what I would recommend to you.

Add a bio-dedicated canister to your system and dedicate the HOB to mechanical filtration. It's easier to service the HOB and just clean the sponges or change the cotton.

You state the tank is understocked and that is one of the best things you can do. If your nitrates are not an issue and you are good with water changes, then just add one or two small power heads, it's cheaper than getting a canister filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.