The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 350 gallon planted tank that I've been struggling to fill with plants vertically, I'm trying to get a jungle look but it's hard because it's such a big tank. It's 8 foot long by 30 inches in depth and 30 inches in height. I'm looking for easier /low tech plants that grow tall, or just really big in general. My current plants only go up halfway the tank and I really don't like that look. I currently have amazon swords, water sprite, water wisteria, and some anubias. I also have some jungle val but the tallest one is like 4 inches, it's shot dozens of runners but no increase in height. Lighting is 4, 48 inch nicrew full spectrum planted tank lights. I do not dose fertilizers, but I plan to start dosing because my plant growth has been pathetic lol. I do however use root tabs. I've also been struggling with a fuzzy gray/ greenish hair algae on my plants but hopefully it'll go down as I manually remove it ( pain in such a big tank), and increase my plant's health. Any suggestions on plants greatly appreciated. Thank you
Plant Plant community Water Pet supply Organism

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yea, 30" tall tanks are tough to work on and as you've found out most the work is at substrate level. From your pic it looks like you dont have much depth in your substrate, you could add more so you can reach the bottom a little easier.

Check out Leopard Vallesneria. They definately will fill a portion of your tank and look nice; they'll fit with your current scape too. Of course stem plants but youll need high light and CO2; with a tank that size you could try high light over just a section. Either way, you have to fertilize or you're not going to get much growth.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have Crypt Balansae, corkscrew and leopard val, ludwigia repens (arcuata and ovalis) and rotala in my low tech 210 (30" tall).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have Crypt Balansae, corkscrew and leopard val, ludwigia repens (arcuata and ovalis) and rotala in my low tech 210 (30" tall).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
oh man, your tank looks so grown in! great job with filling it all out

I also like the balance of filling the forefront with shorter plants, then the mid front with the plants that you have and then having the background be something that reaches up. I think those 3 layers give the tank a sense of depth vs just filling it with tall plants. great job and a good example to follow

·
Registered
814 Posts
oh man, your tank looks so grown in! great job with filling it all out

I also like the balance of filling the forefront with shorter plants, then the mid front with the plants that you have and then having the background be something that reaches up. I think those 3 layers give the tank a sense of depth vs just filling it with tall plants. great job and a good example to follow
Thanks, it needs some attention soon. Not all the tall plants like to stay where you put them. Both Vals are threatening to take over, and the Ludwigia is getting bushy up top. As was said further up, most stems will get tall, but they will get top heavy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.