The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is hard tank to photograph. This is a new set up, about 4 weeks from a dry tank for a client. It's a little murky due to me doing a water change. 250 Congo tetras, 12 plecos and about 7-8 Sturisoma from the old set up. 100 each of RCS and Amano's.

About 2ft are cut off from the front of the tank due to the cabinetry.
Then there's the side view.

This tank uses only 1.2w/gal of light.
I'll likely make a nice V shaped hedge in the back and add some more color there sort of in the middle.

The Anubias will slowly creep through the wood over time, I might add some along the main branch on one of the pieces of wood. There are few aquascaping rules being applied here. As the tank ages, it'll look better and better.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I have ample amounts of the wood, I've started using it a bit like rock. It's lighter weight and I can drill into it, and not scratch the tanks etc etc........

Most do not view wood in this manner.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
That is beautiful. The driftwood seems to be telling a story. I like tanks that effect me emotionally. Can't really explain it, but I do know I aspire to learn the craft.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Tek T5, gieseman bulb. 110 cm away from the bottom front edge, so none of that "deep tank needs more light" baloney.
No, none of that from me. I make sure my T5HO fixtures have a switch/cord per bulb, giving me options. My two cichlid PFS moderately planted tanks have less than 1w/gal running on them. I fight a small amount of algae on them, but they are less than 6 months old, and I'm still learning about sand and plants. I have three 20g longs, soil, shallow tanks, heavily planted, and have T5NO's on them, love those tanks, no algae, pretty tanks. My one "hi tech" pressurized co2, daily ferts, tank is a 75g heavily planted tank that runs T5HO 2x54W w/a third bulb mid day burst, it occasionally gets algae. I'm slowly redoing this tank. I'm also setting up another 75g soil tank, hoping it turns out to be low light planted, no WC's, once a week ferts, so low low tech. I'm going to try to use a 30" T5HO 2x24W, just for kicks. If I find it's not enough light, I'll buy another 48" fixture. I listened when you started preaching less light Tom.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Did I read that right, there is 250 congo tetras in there. It sure doesn't look like there is that many in there. Very nice looking tank either way.

·
Registered
659 Posts
what tom no being to end photos, I would love to see how it started before the plants in it with just the hard scape.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Tek T5, gieseman bulb. 110 cm away from the bottom front edge, so none of that "deep tank needs more light" baloney.
Hey I'm one of those guys, I've never heard of the gieseman bulb are they unique in some way?

I did a little research and did see the Midday & Aquaflora bulbs used together have a nice spectrum and are suggested for use in aquariums with a greater water depth. If I used T-5 fixtures these seem like a good choice in bulbs from a company that seems to care a great deal about color reproduction.

BTW, another sweet tank!!! Don't tease us with a couple of pics, we need more!!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts