The Planted Tank Forum banner

35 Gallon Kettle Pond***New pics 7/19 pg 4

25146 65
Hi all, this will be my first official post :). I started this container pond about a year ago. It has been great fun, and i have had somewhat better luck with plants outdoors than i have had indoors. The pond is stocked with 3 pond comets and 2 australian rainbows. There is no filter but lots of hornwort instead:icon_lol:. there is also a dwarf water lily which should flower in a couple of weeks now. I also have a couple of bog plants on the side shelves.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Hi all, this will be my first official post :). I started this container pond about a year ago. It has been great fun, and i have had somewhat better luck with plants outdoors than i have had indoors. The pond is stocked with 3 pond comets and 2 australian rainbows. There is no filter but lots of hornwort instead:icon_lol:. there is also a dwarf water lily which should flower in a couple of weeks now. I also have a couple of bog plants on the side shelves.
Your pond is overstocked quite severely and your goldfish will be stumped. Comets need 30 gallons for one fish then 15-20 gallons for every additional fish. They are meant to grow 10-14" whilst I should think yours will top off at 6"

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All right then. I have a friend who can take in some of them. I should still be able to keep one though, right?

· Registered
3,612 Posts
I really like it! Especialy how the container is black and looks like a peice of out door furniture.

· Honeycomb Master
6,767 Posts
Your pond is overstocked quite severely and your goldfish will be stumped. Comets need 30 gallons for one fish then 15-20 gallons for every additional fish. They are meant to grow 10-14" whilst I should think yours will top off at 6"
You do realize that most people buy those fish to either feed to a larger animal or to put in a goldfish bowl, right?

Anyway, i love your pond! What is it made out of? From those pictures it looks like stone. o_o Beautiful!

· Registered
9,750 Posts
Nice pond. How do you like your stargrass (Dichromena latifolia)? I have some of that and it is a nice plant, very different.

I agree it would be wise to give those fish much more room. Have you had any issues with this pond overheating in the summer? I would think that especially in your climate and with it being rather small and up off the ground that it could quickly become too warm for those goldfish.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update

Hi all thanks for the comments. The container is actually a preformed plastic container. the hottest I have measured the water temp at during the summer is 76 degrees. The lilly and the hornwort shade most of the water surface. I have also been fortunate enough to have my golddfish spawn for the first time. I am now in the process of re - homing them. I love the stargrass, it is very hardy, and i have had very little problem maintaining it, which is a big deal for me:icon_lol:. Anyway, here are some updated pics of the pond.

Attachments

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the comments
Got the container and all the plants for 100 bucks at local water garden
This is the first time I have tried anything outside, and it has been a great experience all the way. Container ponds rock!!!

· Registered
3,378 Posts
For anyone who's interested, Lowe's sells whiskey barrel repro's that would make a perfect container pond, IMO. They are about $30 if I remember. I don't know what volume of water they hold, but they are 19" diameter at the top. Made out of fiberglass, they are perfectly water-tight.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At what temperatures have you kept fantail goldfish (do you leave them outside over winter ?) Mine seem to be having a little bit of trouble with the cold.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a hard freeze. 1 inch of ice in houston!!! Anyway my golds appear to be handling it fine, and have not yet managed to kill of that indestructable hornwort.;)

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Summer is Finally Here

The heat is back in houston, and my dwarf lily is loving the light. I will post pics soon as the leaves are covering the surface, and 1 flower with 3 buds coming.:icon_smil

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pics

May be the first time that i have had 2 blooms from one one plant on a dwarf lily.(couldnt get a picture in time:icon_frow)

Attachments

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how often do you guys fertilize dwarf lily's? mine seems to have slowed down after the initial spurt of blooming. i know that they can produce one bloom a week when in good shape.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.