The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from the Middle East.

First time posting on here. Been reading for a while.

I'm setting up my second FW tank.. First wasnt really planted.. More fish.

New tank is a rimless with a volume of about 33G.. 90cm long.

I'm planning on drilling the bottom so I can keep it very clean looking with inline DIY CO2 reactor and heater.

Since I am located in Bahrain in the Middle East equipment choices at the LFS is very limited. Apart from chinese replicas the only quality canister filters available are Eheim.

Available are
ECCO 2034
Professional II 2026 and 2028
Professional IIIe 2076 and 2078

I guess probably best for me would be the 2026.

What I am wondering is what would be the best size bulkheads to go with.
1/2 or 3/4"

Any input on best filter to use from the above selection and bulkhead sizing would be really appreciated.

I plan on using to lengths of 1/2" locline split with a wye. I saw a similar setup on here but with a larger tank. Think he was using 3/4"

Anyways.. here are some really bad quality pics of the tank and stand.
Stand is DIY made from plywood laminated with wenge look formica.
I'm quite proud of it since it is my first attempt at making anything from wood. The tank is made by a friend of mine. It has 10mm thick glass.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Hello Tareq :) Welcome to PTF!

That is a perfect looking location for such a nice tank setup. I would go with 3/4" bulkheads and maybe use any of the larger Eheims. You can always throttle back a filter, but you can never boost performance. I have always used a filter that would have a turn over rate of 10 cycles per hour.

Regards,
O

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Tareq,

I love the idea of drilling a rimless tank - you spend money, time and effort to eliminate the unsightly braces - why not get rid of all the heaters, filter pipes and the rest to really get a clean look!

I have two tanks drilled now - a 90 gallon and a 60 gallon. Orlando gave you good advice - go with the larger bulk head. You cannot re-do this later if you find you want better flow. Like Orlando, I am geared to have a 10x tank volume flow rate. If you are only going with a single return line from the filter, you might consider using 3/4 inch Loc-line. You can hide this in the plants just as easily as the 1/2 inch line. I hope you will post your progress on building the tank. It will be a nice project.

Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tankyou for the advice..
I've ordered a drill bit for the 3/4" Bulkhead and will most probably go for the Eheim 2028

Will keep you posted once anything exciting happens.

Cheers

·
Registered
999 Posts
I would go with the 3/4 bulkheads but stay with 2 x 1/2 locline off the bulkhead. a 3/4 line won't push more than those two 1/2 lines can handle anyway

gorgeous start btw. I hope more pics are coming when its wet :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, No life in the tank yet.. Have to order so many things from abroad as not available here.
Anyway.. Drilled the holes in the tank. Installed the 3/4" bulkheads, ball valves, loclines.. Installed just the Eheim 2026 that I bought.

Will fill her up tomorrow morning.. check for any leaks.
Then will assemble the diy rex style co2 reactor. Plumb everything up and start to make it alive.

Other major piece of the puzzle missing is a light. Need to order from the Uk or Germany.. Found some Arcadia and Giesemaan 4 x 29w pendants.. Or maybe a Aquamedic 150w Metal Halide that I can get new for a real bargain. Any suggestions more than welcome!

Oh and discovered that I am a bit daft and messed up the volume conversion from ltr to gal.. Its about 27.4 gal. 90cm x 35cm x 45cm tall.

Here are some clearer pics as the others were taken with my phone.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
That looks real nice. I agree that a bottom-drilled tank is a great option.

It must have been a challenge to source the tank and filter. I think that Bahrain is a smallish island(?).

Nice job with the cabinet too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks hydophyte.. Actually the tank was the easiest bit to get. My friend made it for me.

Having to wait for the bits is a real pain.. But what the heck.. Good things come with time

·
Registered
690 Posts
Tareq, I am sooo jealous! That's exactly what I'm after. A rimless medium sized tank drilled from the bottom. Good luck with it, I'll be watching this one as it progresses.

By the way, its looking great! :thumbsup:

Dan

·
Registered
255 Posts
beautiful looking set up!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've have extended the intake up above the gravel line.. I didnt have the bits needed when I took the pic.

The tank is now full of the gravel.. and water.. Going to start adding life to it soon.

Any recommendations on best light? Would a halide 150w be too much. Or should I go for a lamp with 2 or 4 39w T5?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Yeah, definitely too much! :icon_eek:

Just go with a pair of 39 watters, which will already give you insane amount of light! T5HO are extremely bright, so don't pay attention to watts per gallon with those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advise.. Think will go with an Aquamedic sunbeam t5 2 x 29w.
Not expensive from germany..

I bought my locline from glass-holes.com.. Savko.com also stock them in black.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Tareq,

Nice looking tank! You're going to want to put a riser pipe on the filter intake so the inlet's above the level of the substrate. Also, watch out for your filter leaking when you shut it off. I've had Eheim's leak on bottom drilled tanks like this when shut off. I don't think they're really made, or intended, to handle the sort of water pressure when set up like this.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one filled and planted.

Regards,
Phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've put the gravel in and had extended the intake a couple of inches off it. Running the tank with just water.. Will start planting stuff soon.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts